_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AEC 4x4 "Dorchester"
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 08:01 PM UTC
I plan to build this (very nice) kit with lots of things going on around it. It is just crying out for that, isn't it?

What I would like to know is what kind of other vehicles would come near it? This being in he desert I guess some Austin Tillys would do (AA has the corresponding decals in the box for 3rd Armoured Brigade), but what else? Foto's I can find just show the AEC, no surroundings...

H.
25PDRFG
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 09:20 PM UTC
In the desert vehicles tended to be well spread out during daylight normaly comming together to fuel and bomb up after dark
You could do a busy scene of a unit bugging out with say a dingo or M/Cycle picking up the movement orders lots of running about putting kit and nets away.
David N
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
As David said, things were generally well dispersed in the desert and the units tried very hard to make sure the HQs were not easy to spot. H0wever, if you are determined to show a buzz of activity, then the vehicles near an HQ would all tend to be "B" echelon vehicles. Light trucks, a couple of 3 tonners, dispatch riders, maybe a combat unit's liaison scout car, that sort of thing. One of the more likely things to be found near a Dorchester was at least one more Dorchester as many units had 2 in the HQ.

Certainly a diorama showing an HQ setting up or tearing down would have lots of bustle and would be very interesting, if somewhat figure heavy.

A couple of Dorchesters parked arse to arse under camo netting parked in the lee of a building with a slit trench or two nearby and some tables & chairs set up under the netting as well would also be appropriate for a "working" day scene. A few men working at the tables, a dispatch rider or two and someone using the building to get a "boil up" on the go would be interesting.

THis is kinda what I'm talking about:

This is, I think, a Kiwi ACV in Italy and it's parked next to the building to both hide it and so that, to a fast moving aircraft, it looks like a shed or outbuilding. Note the No.13 cab 30 cwt truck in the driveway above, just to the right of the photo.

Here's another good shot with potential for marking your ACV.

Note how the front of the vehicle has false windows and a false radiator grill painted on to make it look like a normal truck

Paul
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks gentlemen!

I like that KIWI picture, with that house (including an extra truck) as a facade. Something quite different than I had in mind, but...it would certainly keep me busy this winter.

Would they still have the original Caunter camo in Italy?
And that truck, would that be just a truck?

Now I need to go and find some officers and personal to go with it..and foto's from italian buildings that can have a truck on the porch, and...

Thanks again,

H.

25PDRFG
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:19 AM UTC
H simple answer is no it would be two tone, light stone or green but I think you should look at the lorry disquise I will look up some pictures if you want to go that way remember these were important targets.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would they still have the original Caunter camo in Italy?

Well, these ACVs might never have been in Caunter. It was a theatre scheme and vehicles were not produced in that scheme, so "original" miught not be the best term.

Being Italy (or Sicily) the time frame is 1943ish, so the base colour of the ACV is likely SCC2 Brown though it might be G3 Green (but I don;t think so). The lighter colour is very likely Light Mud and definitely seems to be the colour painted locally with the basic colur remaining from manufacture, so any chipping would be predominatly on the Light Mud and not on the SCC2 Brown.

Quoted Text

And that truck, would that be just a truck?

Well, it seems to have a van or workshop body. It might be a radio truck and it might as easily be the divisional Dentist's truck or the Brigade laundry or post office. Hard to tell without seeing more of it. However, it's not a standard cargo truck, that is sure.

It might also be a 60 cwt truck instead of the 30 cwt I mentioned. It is definitely a CMP No 13 cab vehicle.

Paul
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
if you are interested in doing the lorry camouflage for the AEC Dorchester designed by Jasper Maskelyne, the last remaining Dorchester with a type 1 body - in the Royal Signals Museum - retains the metal framework used to support the canvas disguise

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shmr/7727677660/in/set-72157631047181250/

HTH

sk
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 09:36 PM UTC
Thanks, that looks very interesting...some additional ironwork too. Also, I've got a trip planned that has me camp in Sherborne...and this machine is in Blandford (camp?). Looks like business and hobby are going to find a place in that visit!

Harald
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 01:07 AM UTC
David,

more pictures are certainly welcome. This lorry disguise looks like something very doable, and adds a lot to the model.

I must admit that I can't find many foto's...

Is there a pace where I can find details on this disguise?

Harald
25PDRFG
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
I have found the book but I dont seem to have the space to post any pics P/M me and i will seend them the ACVIin Italy belongs to 23 armord div its a Black Liver bird with an olive branch in its beak did you notice the bridge clasificatio is split I have a notion it is light white or sand over green with a black 7
P/S did you notice the tyres are different direction tread
 _GOTOTOP