Alternatives to Seafoam?
cheapisfun
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Dears,

I was wondering whether anyone had thought of or found an alternative to seafoam to scratch-build plants "structure" for dioramas. For foliage I do use spices from the kitchen and I'm happy with that....I just need the branches!

I never buy from stores pre-made items, as the funny part of modelling to me is to find "self made" solutions...even if they are not the most effective.

Any suggestions about using something not so difficult to find?
I know dried roots might be an alternative, but I struggle very much to find suitable roots...

THANKS!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 12:22 AM UTC
Grape stems would be my choice. Plus, you get to enjoy the grapes. I have a small stash of them.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
Dry tree roots is an alternative but they will usually need bulking out.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know dried roots might be an alternative, but I struggle very much to find suitable roots...

I think he has already considered that, Darren.
cheapisfun
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grape stems would be my choice. Plus, you get to enjoy the grapes. I have a small stash of them.

Grape stems...sounds VERY interesting!
That's EXACTLY the kind of suggestion I'm looking for: something which is (almost) everyday under your nose and that you never see with the modeller's eye!

Back to Grape Stems: ho do you prevent them from drying or altering their consistence in time?
(I mean they are subject to get rotten as they are a biological item...pardon my English!)

Plus, do you use them for plants or trees only because of their size? I model 1:35 scale.

Capital T Thanks!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
I dry the grape stems, first. Hit them with a clear coat. I have had them in my supplies, for a couple of years and they have not rotted. I also build in 1:35. They make nice hedges. You will still need to build the trunk, but they are perfect for tree limbs. I assume you will be adding leaves. That will break it up enough to look the part. They vary in size. Just use the ones you need and stash the rest.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
This information might be of some use to you:

AMPS 2013 International Show::Bases and Groundwork Seminar

There are several sides covering vegetation textures, including trees and under story plants.

I've had good results using 0000 (4x0) steel wool as an intermediary armature structure on plant roots for hardwood trees. The examples in the slides show some that even have leaves made of kitchen herbs (although I must say that the Noch paper leaves can give a better look, IMO).

There are also a couple of slides about using denatured alcohol and glycerin to preserve harvested local plant materials. You should be able to preserve grape stems (after they have been dried) using the same materials (although the soaking time might need to be extended).

HTH!
cheapisfun
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I dry the grape stems, first. Hit them with a clear coat. I have had them in my supplies, for a couple of years and they have not rotted. I also build in 1:35. They make nice hedges. You will still need to build the trunk, but they are perfect for tree limbs. I assume you will be adding leaves. That will break it up enough to look the part. They vary in size. Just use the ones you need and stash the rest.

Thanks Matt!
Sounds fantastic! Now I'm much more focused on small plants to break monotony of grass. I'll move tothe tree thing later on. Your suggestions will be followed!
cheapisfun
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This information might be of some use to you:

AMPS 2013 International Show::Bases and Groundwork Seminar

There are several sides covering vegetation textures, including trees and under story plants.

I've had good results using 0000 (4x0) steel wool as an intermediary armature structure on plant roots for hardwood trees. The examples in the slides show some that even have leaves made of kitchen herbs (although I must say that the Noch paper leaves can give a better look, IMO).

There are also a couple of slides about using denatured alcohol and glycerin to preserve harvested local plant materials. You should be able to preserve grape stems (after they have been dried) using the same materials (although the soaking time might need to be extended).

HTH!

Thanks for sharing the link and the suggestions Mike!
I like using kitchen herbs....I like using oregano. You can also reduce it to powder which is great for grass next to white/grey rocks. Give it a try.
And also try dried oregano on cheese & tomato pizza:
italian touch. Taste it and you'll be grateful!
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
wow, that is a great reference site!! thanks for sharing!!
-ziggy
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

wow, that is a great reference site!! thanks for sharing!!
-ziggy

Ziggy,

Happy to share.

If you like the Bases and Groundwork seminar notes, then check out the rest of the "Group Builds & Demos" page. We have a lot of stuff there on various projects. Maybe you'll find some other good to have info:

AMPS Central SC::Group Builds & Demos Page

Happy modeling!
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi,

As well as herbs from the kitchen you could try dried tea leaves from used tea bags, they don't need colouring and look very realistic as rotting and dried leaves for forest floor type vegetation.

All the best,

Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC
If you're looking for the tree trunk and branches, sage brush ( or related bushes) are good. If you have arid or desert areas in Italy (road-trip!) you should be able to find similar plants. Even dense thorn thickets (mind the thorns!) minus the thorns are usable, once dried.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 11:33 AM UTC
The flower heads from hydrangeas are good, once the flower has died you take off the petals and you are left with a stalk that looks like a bush/tree.Leave to dry out naturally before use. The link is to show which type to look for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrangea_macrophylla
Paul
 _GOTOTOP