Hosted by Darren Baker
how do I make branches as camouflage
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi, I'm building for the RMG campaign a Tiger 1 tank (early version) in front of the house where general Urquart was hiding (Zwarteweg). I already painted the tank but almost all the tanks Around Arnhem and Nijmegen had branches as camouflage. I was wondering, how do I make those branches or where can I buy them. I'm modeling in scale 1/35. Any help would be great!!

Laurens
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 12:11 AM UTC
2 Ways:

1. Use bonsai tree branches
2. Get the roots of small plants. Clean them and there you go!

Hope this helps!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
There is a natural "product" on the market that is called "SeaFoam"....

Here is the link to a Dutch article by Joep Stienen :The Embankment. In the background of the diorama you see some bushes that are made out of seafoam.

Joep is also a member of the Armorama community. He's known under the name of ..... "Joep" over here.... Maybe you can PM or email Joep on where to get it in the Netherlands.

I also know that Ronny "Roadkill" has an address in The Netherlands on where to buy it, but I couldn't find that address just this minute.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Some great ideas all right on.
I'd like to extend the toughts - if you go to a craft store (here in the US - Micheals of AC Moores) that has dried flowers they usually have a wide variety of 'plants' similar to sea-foam.
Same concept as other posts - just a different product.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
I'd go with the Bonzia branches....i have a connection at a couple plant stores in town and told them i'd like the clippings. Told them why i wanted them, their eyes kinda glazed over at that point, said they would and they have.
For far east dios, i happen to have bambo growing in my bck yard and clip the tender young branches of that, let it dry and viola.

kglack
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

how do I make those branches... Laurens

I go the Dried Roots method (Ala Shep Paine's Books). Once the "branches" are painted and weathered I use a vaiety of Herb (oregano for eaxample) to add leaves if desired/needed.

John
www.johnneill.com
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
All are good ways to do branches. If you are apprehensive about making them, try these branches from Hudson and Allen. They look great on vehicles.

Kinda hard to see the name on the package......Pine Boughs is the name of the stuff.

Patrick
laurie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thanks all, I think I'm gonna buy the sea foam. Thanks

Laurens
ambrose82
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Did he say what type of trees he's trying to replicate? Are they leafy trees or coniferous trees?

For leafy trees, I recommend either the plant roots or making wire branches (there's a demo on making wire trees in the features section. Making wire trees allows you absolute control over how the branches lie across the tank.

For coniferous trees, I recommend using bonsai branches or other plant filler from a florist. There's one type in particular which I really like and I can't remember the name of it. Dang! I'll try to post a picture...
MajorNumpty
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Tamiya Modeling Magazine Int. did a couple of good how to articles on both pine and coniferous trees, spring-autumn issues in '02. If you're interested I'll e-mail the articles to you.
ambrose82
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC
Major Numpty, I'm interested in the articles. Can you e-mail them to me at [email protected]?

Thanks!
Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Major Numpty, I'm interested in the articles. Can you e-mail them to me at [email protected]?
Thanks!

I second the motion! only at this address of mine [email protected].
Hope you can send it to me also!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC
so there is a third guy for these articles !!!!! [email protected] is may mail if you please.
Thanks in advance
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC
and another guys on the block for the article :

[email protected]
MajorNumpty
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
Wow, five requests. Good thing Windows XP has a copy and paste function (I did'nt have to type it 5 times!) #:-) Maybe I should post the whole article.
laurie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Would you mail the whole article to me too? My adress=
[email protected]

Thanks, Laurens
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
I would like to take a look at this article as well. My e-mail address is [[email protected]
MajorNumpty
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
Incase anyone else wants this, here's the article, which was published in the August/September 02 edition of TMMI. The real thanks goes to Marcus Nicholls who took the time and imagination to create his "Arboreal Antics."

Find some dry tree roots and remove any stones, dirt or anything that would look out of scale. Depending on the effect you're trying to achieve, remove the bark or leave it on. Let it dry then drill holes where you want the branches to be. Branches will be the seafoam material as mentioned on the forums. Use a plant sprayer to dampen the seafoam to keep it from crumbling. Superglue or white glue the branches into the holes in the root and gently shape then let dry.

Spray Scotch Photomount glue (glue from a spray can) on the seafoam branches and sprinkle on dried herbs such as marjoram, oregeno or parsley. This step may have to be repeated to attain the desired density of leaves on the brances. Deaden any shine created by the glue by airbrushing Park Green and Flat Earth on the herb leaves and seal with a coat of clear flat.

One other thing many of these articles tend to neglegt is that once branches have cut from a tree the leaves turn brown after a few days, requiring the foliage to be changed periodically. If the vehicle you're modelling has been in position for a few days use more Flat Earth than Park Green.

Hope this helps. I have another article about making pine trees using tree fern as the branches and static grass for the needles, but I've yet to see any reference photos with pine trees as camo. www.ww2Modelmaker.com has an article on this. The finished result lookes quite convincing. Try the different techniques to see what looks best.

If I can find a scanner I'll post the in-progress pictures and the finished tree. Until I can post them the text will have to serve as the directions.
laurie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
This will come in handy!! Thanks, i can't wait for the pics!

Laurens
 _GOTOTOP