_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Safety cables on towed arty!
TrooperD
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
A little while back I requested info on the function of cables seen on towed German artillery.
Thanks to Paul for his feedback.But yesterday I was at the IPMS nats in Telford and bought the Precision Models 15cm sFH 18,what a stunning kit,anyway I was talking to the guy who researched and engineered these models,who told me that at least one of the cables is for braking the piece.As the gun was originally designed for being horse drawn,there was no method(time constraints I suppose) for hooking it up with air/hydraulics,so it was adapted by connecting the limber brake with a cable to the inside of the tractor.The brake was operated by a guy in the vehicle and not the driver.Hope this info will be of use to others.You learn something new everyday....regards to all,Dave. Oh,and well done England!
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Like you said, Dave, there's always something new. A cable brake makes much more sense for a horse-drawn piece. Thanks for keeping us updated.

PH
TrooperD
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
No probs mate.Now all I have to do is find out if it was a lever or foot pedal operated brake and where it was located in the tractor.The lever system seems logical to me as,being a trucker,I remember talking to older guys when I first started driving.They used to tell me of the 'Brake boy',a young lad was employed to sit with the driver in the cab,and when a steep dowenhill(gradient) was encountered,this young lad would heave with all his might on the brake lever to apply extra braking on the wheels.Unbelievable or what!Also,at the bottom of these steep hills,the truck would stop,and they would throw buckets of water over the wheels to cool them down,could you see that today?ATB...Dave.
 _GOTOTOP