_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
REVIEW
WWII German Army Shelter Tent
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC
Randy Harvey shares with us a review of the J’s Work, WWII German Army Shelter Tent, number PPA3078, in 1/35 scale in their Diorama Accessories Series.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the review, Randy. Frankly, the challenge is making them look like something other than paper. I have the sets and have wondered how to give them a fabric texture and "hang."
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 08:23 PM UTC
Don't know, but the colours seem to be a bit off.
The basecolour is very bright, seems almost white, while the green and brown are very dark.
Other than that; a good idea!
How thick is the paper?

@Bill; you might want to try to carefully add thinned pva glue to the paper. makes the paper soft, the weight of the water makes it sag and the glue dries hard. Just an idea.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 04:38 AM UTC
That is a good suggestion.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thank you Bill and Ron for the feedback and questions. You both brought up something I should have discussed in my review(s).

The paper is a little thinner than 1mm. I also planned on using the old method of 50/50 white glue and water mix and brushing it on the assembled shelter to give it a realistic look. The colors and their brightness/darkness, I figured I would weather them with some pastels to give them that used/dirty look and to help take the boldness out of the colors.

Thanks again,
Randy
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
The instructions could use some improvement as the method of joining the edges to form the tent is incorrectly shown.

The edges should overlap each other and not form "ridges" standing up and away from the body of the tent.

The photo #11 in the review shows how this should actually look. The overlapped edges should lay down flat. (Also note the double rows of aluminum-colored buttons on the joined edges.)

The manufacturer could have also added some variety by printing the spring colors on one side and the autumn colors on the other (just like the prototypes).

Still, this is a neat idea, and one that's so surprisingly simple you wonder why no one else has never thought of it. I'm guessing that it won't be long until another manufacturer comes out with an improved and more accurate version.
 _GOTOTOP