_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
odd one for painting
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
Jus checking to see if anyone had this happen to them. before I start a kit I soak it in warm soap water for an hour then let it air dry. did this with my current kit and the paint will stay have to wait and repaint the area again. it seems that the release agent was hard to remove on this kit but finally got it to hold paint.
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hello Richard,

I don`t know if this caused your problem but many modern soaps as well as dish liquids and rinsing agents many modelers use to clean their kits before painting contain oily lubricants to make them more compatible with the skin of the hands to prevent rashes etc... Therefore it can happen that a model "cleaned" this way is more likely to cause difficulties while painting than without this procedure. If you really need to clean a kit, perhaps because you have a really oily resin kit or an older kit where already some dust has settled, than I would recommend to clean the kit with pure rubbing/medicinal alcohol or an alcohol-based window cleaner. Normaly I do not clean my kits and have never encountered any problems. But if releasing agent makes it unavoidable than clean the kit with alcohol. I would absolutely recommend not to use any soap or dish washing liquid etc... in future because of the "skin-friendly" formula of most products.

Best Regards

Dennis
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC
You can also use white vinegar.
 _GOTOTOP