M79 Grenade Launcher ammo question.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi,
Could anybody tell me what colour to paint the 40mm projectile for the M79 Grenade Launcher, please?
High Explosive will be fine (cartridge case included).
I've looked on the internet but found lots of various colours so I'm not sure which one to choose.
I need the correct colours for the late 1960's to 1970's, please?
Thanks for your help.

Joe.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

have a look at this page. Hope it helps.

grenade color

Greetings

Stefan
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Could anybody tell me what colour to paint the 40mm projectile for the M79 Grenade Launcher, please?
High Explosive will be fine (cartridge case included).
I've looked on the internet but found lots of various colours so I'm not sure which one to choose.
I need the correct colours for the late 1960's to 1970's, please?
Thanks for your help.

Joe.

I think I only shot HE and can rounds in the one I had, but have heard that Marines and maybe the 101st were issued WP. Never saw any of the flares or other exotic stuff, but know that SOG had then. I've seen the actually case in two different colors now that I think about it. Either OD green or a very dark gun metal color. The rounded part containing the explosive warhead was aluminum colored if memory serves me right. Can't remember what a buckshot round looked like, and I shot a bunch of it. (maybe black?) The actual gunstocks came in three different colors (that I've seen). Black, OD green, and bare dark wood color or just painted brown (only been 40+ years you know). Slings were all over the place. There was they way they were shipped, and then there was a deal that had the sling attached in the pistol grip area and around the barrel just ahead of the flip up front sight. Yet most guys in the field never used a sling as it made too much noise and hung up on everything (M16's as well). I used the pistol grip attachment as it was easy to hand on my backside. There was a sling affair that held several rounds, but these were kinda rare and only REMF's seemed to have them.
gary
Removed by original poster on 05/20/13 - 16:58:42 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP