_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M5 Stuart, does a kit of this exist?
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
In plastic or resin in 35th scale? Just wondering. Thanks a bunch for any and all replies.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC
Google is your friend. There's an ancient Tamiya M5 as well as a newer AFV Club M5. Both 1/35th. I can't comment on their accuracy, I just know they exist. I'd go out on a limb saying the AFV kit is probably more accurate.

Erik
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thank you Erik, but I'm looking for just a plain M5 not the M5A1's from AFV Club and Tamiya. I have those. Or did AFV Club make a plain M5 and I missed it somewhere?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC
The AfvClub m5 hull with Academy m3a1 turret is a m5.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The AfvClub m5 hull with Academy m3a1 turret is a m5.

Wellll, almost.

There are detail differences between the turret of the M5 and the M3A1 and between the hulls of the m5 and early M5A1s.

Kurt Laughlin put out a small book on the detail differences between the M5, the early and late M5A1s. Very handy little work.

Paul
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC
Well, got all the base kits, all the necessary reference material. Might as well make a resin conversion then. Give me something to do in June!

Thanks a million for the info Guys!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
The closest you are going to get is the NewTMD conversion for the AFV Club M5A1. A few small things need to be changed, but nothing difficult, as I recall.

KL
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi, Bob! Some years back TIGER MODELS DESIGN made several different conversion kits specifically for the AFV CLUB M5A1, one of which was for the M5 that you're interested in building. Sadly, ALL of these conversion kits have since been discontinued... You may be able to find one of those TMD M5 Conversion Kits at a swap-meet or on eBay... Fat chance in finding one of those as there are still some of us out there that appreciate the US and ALLIED STUFF... Any TMD kits and/or parts usually get snapped up right away, just like all those juicy FORMATIONS conversion kits... I built my M5 conversion several years ago. In a pinch, and if you're resourceful, there is an aftermarket M3A1 Turret, meant to replace the ACADEMY M3A1 turret. I've seen it come up on eBay now and then. The name of the manufacturer escapes me at the moment. To create an accurate M5, I suggest that you use the AFV CLUB M5A1 (Early), because it is more accurate overall than TAMIYA's, especially the Upper and Lower Hull parts, which are the wrong shape AND too short. ACCURATE ARMOUR makes/made a resin Update set to correct TAMIYA's M5A1, mainly in the rear step-up area over the engine compartment. I've never actually had eyes on the ACCURATE ARMOUR M5A1 Update, so I cannot comment on its accuracy... TAMIYA carried over a lot of their M3A1 parts to create their M5A1. The main culprits are the Upper Hull and Lower Hull Tub, which are TOO SHORT even to create an accurate M3A1. These incorrect parts carry over into TAMIYA's M8 HMC, as well. The sins of the fathers... You'll probably need to create some of the other parts, as there a few differences between the M5 and the M5A1 besides the turret. Probably your best reference point will be the Hunnicut US Light Tanks book, which encompasses the US M3 thru M24 Light Tanks. If you want to go cheaper than the Hunnicut book, may I suggest the SQUADRON/SIGNAL "M3/M5 STUART In Action" book? There are several good drawings of the M3 thru M8 HMC, along with detail drawings of the various components' evolutions. Hope this helps you, even if it's just a little bit... GOOD LUCK!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
TMD is operating again, FWIW.

http://www.newtmd.com/Search/m5
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:48 PM UTC
I know about the aftermarket M3A1 turret as I Mastered it for TWS along with all the M3-M5 Wading System parts. Being a big fan of the Stuart series, I just can't help but thinking seriously about doing some upgrades and conversions for them. Guess it will be time to get to work.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC
Not to worry, you are not the only one out there that loves the US stuff. Keep up the good work guys.

Great news about Tiger.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC
keep an eye on my website Guys. You never know what I'm up to until it's there!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 11:29 AM UTC
YAAAAY!!! I'm going to get on TMD's site to see what they offer! Their M8 HMC Conversion for the AFV CLUB M5A1 was a very long time coming, but it was worth the wait...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC
THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!! I think that there is definitely a market for the US and ALLIED Equipment! How about doing that US M7 Light Tank that morphed into a Medium because US ARMY ORDNANCE and AMERICAN GROUND FORCES couldn't come to an agreement? If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, there was also an oddball M3 Stuart modification that sported a limited-traverse light M1 75mm Howitzer in a superstructure that was very reminiscent of the M3 Lee-based M7 105mm HMC...
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 10:20 PM UTC
Have to wait and see what I come up with. First step would be to get the more popular stuff going then do an occasional "Oddball" item.
 _GOTOTOP