_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone else like DUAL-TEX - digital camo?
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
I love the cold war US camo schemes from MASSTER to the DUAL-TEX... the cold war version of the digi-camo.

Finding only scarce resources and references, I finally the TankoGrad book that covers these. It took me a little while to decide how I was going to do this, but ended up ditching the M60A1 for an M577 to do this in because of the flat surfaces and better references.

I ended up using graph paper that I lines with some adhesive foil on one side for durability and then used a tiny pair of scissors to cut out masks that were scaled to the four inch squares used on the vehicles.

I'd love to see other's that have done this and how they ended up doing something like the M60A1, but I think the M60's were just painted with a paint roller and didn't follow the MERCD scheme the way they did on the M113 series.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:43 AM UTC
Looks good! I've been wanting to do this myself!
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
Contact Airsick Stencils on eBay if you want to get those you see on my pic. Never had the guts/drive to use/try them, found out why last week, I was hit with depression.

Anyway, it's gonna be much easier to do/airbrush them with these I think.

Here's two lame pics I've taken a while back:

ps: I'm in no way connected or working for them, just a customer.

Marc
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
Cool. I remember 2/2 Cav vehicles tooling around Hof and Waldsassen, near the Czech border, with that pattern in the early 1980s.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Damn, those stencils with the larger blocky squares would have been handy a few month ago before I had to cut out my own!

These flat sided M113 series seem to all have pretty uniform stair step patterns and sort of try to follow MERDC patterns, but when it comes to the curvy M60s, it looks like they just used the paint roller and went to town with the various blocks.

My next Dual Tex will be an M60 with all the random 4 inch squares.. not sure yet just how I'll do it, but probably lots of brush painting is best way to simulate this.

The M113s look like the only ones that were stenciled. Even the M151 MUTTs look pretty random.

My biggest problem is running out of 2nd Armored Cav (7A 2CAV) decals for bumper codes!

Removed by original poster on 06/03/13 - 14:50:15 (GMT).
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
I must be honest and tell you it's a b*tch trying to make them hold still on a curvy model.

Probably why I once tried it and gave up right away. 2nd photo with two stencils are unique, Airsick made them so I could make a private review for him. If I'm not mistaken, they were never cut again. They are not on his eBay site.

At around 9$, it could save you a lot of trouble on your next project, IMHO.

Marc

ps: on the 1st pic, the one just near the Shilka's cannons is probably the best one but I would need to cut it in pieces I think so it's more manageable to airbrush.
 _GOTOTOP