Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Merkava III
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 02:25 PM UTC
Another completed model, finished just two days ago.

Trumpeter's Merkava III is a great little kit featuring the new Trumpeter method of track material and assembly. This was first used way back on the IS-3 kits and seems to have become the new Trumpeter standard, rather than those horrid vinyl tracks.

The only detail lacking on this little Merkava are the characteristic ball and chain array underneath the turret rear basket. Not sure why Trumpeter omitted this, as the earlier Revell kit includes them.

After much research, I used Vallejo Grey green for IDF Sinai Grey. Lifecolor's offering is darker, but Vallejo seems to "hit that spot"

I have seen a lot of images in my references and online of Merkava's on dusty roads, so used that as an inspiration for a simple base.

Sorry, Jan...Another monotone finish...

But, here is my recently completed MQ-9 Reaper UAV.

CPL-Overby
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
It looks good......
there is one thing that catches my eye though.......
The .50 cal mounted over thye main gun.....
These were used as "spotting rifles"
and fired "electronicaly" from inside the tank.
You should "cut off" the Spade Grips,
and add a piece of Styrene Rod sticking out of the back,
to represent the "Firing Cylinoid".
It should look just like the .50 cals on the M16 Half Track.
Ken
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 07:40 PM UTC
@sabredog – Michael,

That’s a beautiful vehicle heading down that road on the way to unplug a can of wipe-ass on some unruly folks!

Oh, nice little gray mosquito sitting on the coaster! Looks ready to go out and do some heavy duty biting . . .

~ Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hello Michael,

Obviously I missed commenting in this thread earlier. Obviously you must expect my usual "another monochrome colour scheme!" The Merkava looks super with the overall colour appropriate (hard to find the ideal IDF standard colour). Your detail painting and subtle weathering is extremely effective.

While technically not the appropriate site for it, your MQ-9 looks great! I've recently had the pleasure of acquiring one of these sinister looking machines. Is this the SkunkModels Workshop offering? If so, how did you find the assembly?

Cheers,
Jan
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi Michael, your job is very nice, good finish..

cheers..

(but I prefer Revell kit.. )
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Michael,

Obviously I missed commenting in this thread earlier. Obviously you must expect my usual "another monochrome colour scheme!" The Merkava looks super with the overall colour appropriate (hard to find the ideal IDF standard colour). Your detail painting and subtle weathering is extremely effective.

While technically not the appropriate site for it, your MQ-9 looks great! I've recently had the pleasure of acquiring one of these sinister looking machines. Is this the SkunkModels Workshop offering? If so, how did you find the assembly?

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan

The Skunkmodels kit assembled easily. No real issues at all. If you trim the tabs on the tail, they simply pushfit in.

Pleased that the Merkava got a second in the Nationals in Melbourne over the weekend
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael, your job is very nice, good finish..

cheers..

(but I prefer Revell kit.. )

I have the Revell kit and it looks mighty fine in the box. I did buy a resin update set that is purely for the Trumpeter kit that does include the ball and chain array and other stuff. Not expensive either. So I will buy another Trumpeter kit for that!
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Michael,
nice Merkava. I just bought the same Model from Trumpeter after I have been able to compare it physically with the Revell one. Trumpeters solution for the chains is much more convincing than Revells. Detail is very crisp at the Trumpeter Merkava and in my eyes the only point in favour of the Revell Chariot is the ball and chain armour.
You built a nice Model with a convincing colouring and weathering. If I may suggest the monochromatic colour can be made more interestingly by applying some highlights, for example to some hooks, hinges and so on. Toning the colour up or down for some panels also makes a monochrome vehicle look a bit less plain.
How about adding some chain marks to the pavement of the nice display? With a white pencil you can apply some scratches as the Merkava chain has no pads.
I enjoyed your model and look forward to start mine.

Michael
MattieP
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC
Michael, Just starting the Trump Merkava myself! I'll be opening up the commanders hatch so some CAREFUL cutting will be involved! I may add some on Revell's little bits just to make it "interesting"!

Matt
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:06 PM UTC
Sounds great! I would at least add the ball and chains
MattieP
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC
So far, I've removed the main gun travel-lock, then added the one from a spare one, from Revell's M60A3, and removed thhe 18 spoke wheel and replaced it with Revell's standard road wheel. The commanders hatch has been removed and I'm fashioning on from scratch. I REALY need to get a REAL camera.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP