_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Modern IDF Diorama
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 11:16 PM UTC
I'm in the process of putting together a modern IDF diorama using the Hobbycraft Merkava IV (LIC) and the new Black Dog infantry figures; the tank commander is by D-Toys. I also have the Verlinden Middle East Ruin and some other accessories.

The setting is Operation Cast Lead (2009).

IMG]http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/TimW4295/May2013008_zpsbf3483d4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/URL]

As usual, I'm still working on my photography technique. The natural lighting has been poor the past few days, thanks to the weather, but there will be more to come.

Cheers,

Tim W.

aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC
Nice looking job! Looking forward to see the diorama completed! What color did you use for the Blackdog infantry soldier and more specifically for the uniform? Keep up the good work!
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking job! Looking forward to see the diorama completed! What color did you use for the Blackdog infantry soldier and more specifically for the uniform? Keep up the good work!

Hi--

For the uniform, I used a mixture of Model Master Olive Drab (FS34087) with a touch of brown added to give it a more IDF appearance. I used MM Italian Chestnut Brown, but any of the darker browns should work.

There will be more pix to come, as I've finished another figure and have done a bit more work on the Merkava, as well.

Stay tuned!

Tim W.
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC
More progress, finally. This isn't how the various men and equipment will actually go on the board, obviously, but you get the general idea.

Things aren't actually this dark, but the camera flash was too bright...and as usual, it's raining like Germany in Virginia this month so once again the natural light sucked.

Here's one with the flash--you can see what I mean. I probably need a new camera.

Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC
Those ball n chain things hanging off the turret look tedious to make. Much respect that you applied them!

Adamskii
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those ball n chain things hanging off the turret look tedious to make. Much respect that you applied them!

Adamskii

Oh yeah, those were seriously tedious. Probably comprised about one third of the time it took to build the tank!

Tim W
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
OK, getting to the composition stage. This is generally where I am going with how this will be set up, but I'm still tinkering/moving things around.

Opinions welcome, as usual.

Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 01:03 AM UTC
suggestion about composition.. can the turret turn on the tank? can it be made to be coming around the corner with the turret traversed a little so the barrel is pointing down the street in line with the building, while the rest of the tank catches up ? and maybe instead of spreading the troops out, consider bunching them all up behind the corner of the building so there is this moment of tension where the tank is looking for trouble down the street before the troops stick their necks out ? maybe some sort of arrangement like that ? the only problem with your current composition is everything is looking away from the audience into the building? either way coming along nicely.. maybe consider a street light. for your building google a verlinden diorama called "knight takes kings bishop" (I think !!) by BoB Letterman.

half way down this page..

http://www.bobletterman.com/wordpress/?p=3697

great work so far

Adam
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

suggestion about composition.. can the turret turn on the tank? can it be made to be coming around the corner with the turret traversed a little so the barrel is pointing down the street in line with the building, while the rest of the tank catches up ? and maybe instead of spreading the troops out, consider bunching them all up behind the corner of the building so there is this moment of tension where the tank is looking for trouble down the street before the troops stick their necks out ? maybe some sort of arrangement like that ? the only problem with your current composition is everything is looking away from the audience into the building? either way coming along nicely.. maybe consider a street light. for your building google a verlinden diorama called "knight takes kings bishop" (I think !!) by BoB Letterman.

half way down this page..

http://www.bobletterman.com/wordpress/?p=3697

great work so far

Adam

Yes, the turret is moveable--I like the idea of having everybody taking cover--I may reverse the direction of things or add some barricade/rubble to the sidewalk to provide cover.

One issue is if I reverse the direction to give more room, the faces of the figures will all be facing the wall. I'm trying to avoid that.

Great idea--none of this is set in stone, yet (or plaster)

Tim W.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
I like the idea of poking the gun around the corner. It makes more sense tactically as in a built up area the prudent thing to do is clear the buildings on both sides with infantry before the tanks go through. Tanks are leery about fighting in the city as anyone with any kind of anti tank weapon can get easy shots at them from below,above and 360 degrees of arc as well.
If there is no infantry,like the recent videos from Syria show,the tanks will blow down a street at the highest speed and fire at anything remotely threatening trying to make the best of a bad tank situation.

Not trying to muddy your waters ,just trying to inject real world tactics in your dio plans.
J
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the idea of poking the gun around the corner. It makes more sense tactically as in a built up area the prudent thing to do is clear the buildings on both sides with infantry before the tanks go through. Tanks are leery about fighting in the city as anyone with any kind of anti tank weapon can get easy shots at them from below,above and 360 degrees of arc as well.
If there is no infantry,like the recent videos from Syria show,the tanks will blow down a street at the highest speed and fire at anything remotely threatening trying to make the best of a bad tank situation.

Not trying to muddy your waters ,just trying to inject real world tactics in your dio plans.
J

Nope, not muddying things at all--this was just the sort of discussion I was trying to get going. I'll do some re-arranging later today (hopfully) and see what shakes out.

Tim W.
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Not at all! This is exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for. I'll be doing some rearranging when I can get at this one again.

Tim W.
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
OK. Some new shots of the latest project. Obviously the one figure isn't done, but I wanted to get a sense of how he would look (at least what I had in mind). Comments welcome, as always.

TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 12:59 AM UTC
Finally done! This took longer than it should have, but I'm happy with the end result.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi Tim!

lots of potential in this little scene!

I especially like the shot taken at ground level, where the guy looks sheepishly around the corner!

Being aware of the limitations inherent in colour photographs, I ask cautiously about the israeli uniforms' colour. From my memory, I would see them in a more "verdant" tone, but I may be wrong!?!?!!

Has the IDF changed their vehicle colour? I remember that it took me a very long trial and error period to finally get this strange greyish-sand tone right. This Merkava looks like it is in sand yellow!?? But as I said, photos and colours....difficult!!

Anyway, you have put a lot of good work into this project, and it surely deserves to be popular!!

Cheers

Romain
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi--

I used Model Master IDF Armor Grey/Sand (or whatever it is called) and then lots of weathering with pastels and washes. The color issue is most likely because I took this indoors without the flash using natural light.

When the flash goes off, everything looks way too bright; I plan to take some more in natural lighting and we'll see how that comes out.

Cheers,

Tim W.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC

Hi Tim,

I fully agree that flash photos are horrible! Most probably will outdoor natural lighting solve everything!!

Cheers

Romain
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC
Love it! Merkevas are so cool. The building ruins and the base as a whole are awesome. Well done, sir.

-Conor
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
Very nice, but I would add broken door and window frames. Maybe even some broken glass, to add to the realism. Otherwise very well done.
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice, but I would add broken door and window frames. Maybe even some broken glass, to add to the realism. Otherwise very well done.

Good idea...I was toying with the idea of this having been a long abandoned ruin, but even with that some wood frame, broken glass and other smashed wooden bits would probably be something to add.

Cheers,

Tim W.
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Some Ideas, and some references:

In "abandoned" structures, unkept vegetation also appears.
Hope it helps.
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
A couple more references that might help you:

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC
Looking good Tim,
can't wait to see the finished dio.

Tom
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
Very nice reference pix, thanks!

And the dio is pretty much done, though I will try to add a bit more scrub (there's only a little bit along the base of the wall right now) and some more odds and ends.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

I really like that earlier IDF dio--is that Lebanon?
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
It is Lebanon. The title of the diorama is " Beirut on the green line"
 _GOTOTOP