_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AEF design M107
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi!

I'm planning on building a M107 in the IDF for the big guns campaign here on Armorama. Looking for things to buy I found that AEF makes a set for an m107 serving in the IDF. The problem is that I haven't found any hobby store that carries that product. Therefore I decided to mail them asking if they can ship to Sweden. As they haven't answered for some time now I’m wondering if someone else have had a similar experience or if they now where to get it?

TIA

Jakob
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 12:58 AM UTC
They won't even send replacement parts to customers in the US. You're better off just scratchbuilding whatever it is you need as the quality is less than stellar to say the least.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
Yeah i was geeting the feeling that they are one of those companies that doesn't help their costumers . Regarding the parts i acctually read about the in FSM and the builder thought that they were pretty good. Also the reason that i want them is that i'm having a hard time finding out what differs an IDF m107 from an American one. Thus the set would be a little shortcut.

Cheers

Jakob
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 02:56 PM UTC
I think the main difference is the onboard ballistic computer. The rest is probably just a "refinement" of kit parts.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC
With regards to buying _anything_ from AEF don't do it unless you have the one you are considering buying in your hands. Their quality is notoriously poor and their customer service is non-existant. One set might be OK while the next package of the same kit is unusable. The owner overuses his moulds so that cavities, rubber chunks and blobs of resin where there is supposed to be part of a mould are very common.

If you can find an AEF kit that is both well cast and accurate (many sets are completely incorrect) then buy it as he makes some unique subjects, but never, never, never buy anthing from AEF without opening up the package, looking inside and verifying that the parts are both well moulded and accurate.

Massive caveat emptor!

Paul
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 05:21 AM UTC
back when he was up and running (before the last shutdown and subsequent reopening), it took 6-8 months to get my order...and that was after many phone calls and emails.

So if filling customer orders are that low on the priority list, then sending replacement parts.... well...

and yes, quality is so-so. I have a few stowage sets and some conversion bits that will make the basis for additional details. The stowage isnt worth the resin (but makes for good filler if you want a "pile" of stuff...put it on the bottom and add better items on top!)
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 08:00 AM UTC
Ok guys thanks for the feedback!

I think it is pretty clear that i'm not going to buy the set due to quality issue. Not that it matters as it seems impossible to get a hold of.

Thanks!

Jakob
 _GOTOTOP