_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Polyester Putty Differences
VMIVince
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
I'm trying my hand at zimmerit for the first time, so I decided to go with Tamiya polyester putty. I ordered one each of the "green" and "yellow" from Luckymodel, however I received two large tubes of yellow, as well as a smaller tube of the same - i.e. no green polyester putty was in the order. So now I have enough polyester putty to zim a 1/6 King Tiger. Is there any appreciable difference between the green and yellow? I assumed it was different curing times, and the green is typically what I've seen guys use in photos on the web. Thanks.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
I'll jump in and say that I'm curious too about the differences between the two Tamiya putties, as well as the white and green Squadron putties. Anyone have any insight?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC
what are the Tamiya part numbers ? I went on to the Lucky model site , I believe the color on the accelerator containers denotes the size or quantity of the accelerator. the more accelerator the faster it sets.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
I was looking at a tube of this stuff at an LHS, but all the directions on the card was in Japanese, or Korean (Japorean ), so I put it back.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll jump in and say that I'm curious too about the differences between the two Tamiya putties, as well as the white and green Squadron putties. Anyone have any insight?

Hi, All! I prefer the TAMIYA Putties, especially their White Putty. It's easier to work with, has a very reasonable drying time, and sands, whether wet or dry, very nicely...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm trying my hand at zimmerit for the first time, so I decided to go with Tamiya polyester putty. I ordered one each of the "green" and "yellow" from Luckymodel, however I received two large tubes of yellow, as well as a smaller tube of the same - i.e. no green polyester putty was in the order. So now I have enough polyester putty to zim a 1/6 King Tiger. Is there any appreciable difference between the green and yellow? I assumed it was different curing times, and the green is typically what I've seen guys use in photos on the web. Thanks.

I've done some Zimmerit in the TAMIYA Green Putty- It works very nicely. Results were GREAT!!! However, I prefer "application-ready" resin Zimmerits, such as CAVALIER and/or ATAK. I'm sure that a lot of the "purists" out there will disagree with me, but I really like the DRAGON "With Zimmerit" kits- They make my life a whole lot easier. Besides, I model a lot more WWII US/ALLIED Armor and Softskins than I do GERMAN subjects, so I'm definitely not OCD when it comes to Zimmerit...
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hello VMIVince,

I have used both and can tell you I have found no difference in texture, dry time etc. Excellent product.
Just a matter of color.

I mix it as such:
Add 2-3 dots, about the volume of 2-3 pepper seeds of hardener to a small marble size volume of putty. Mix
thoroughly and you are ready to go.
Cutting back or adding a little more hardener will just affect
setting times.

PS: Don't let the "Japorean"...???... instructions deter you.

Cheers,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP