_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Sturmtiger "Big Cat" diorama
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 02:15 PM UTC
This is a diorama I did some time ago, just after my Rolling Thunder dio( https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/208215&page=1 ). I did this for a few reasons, Firstly I was just in awe at the photo etch barrel rifling PE kit and simply had to have it, secondly, I wanted to prove I could build a diorama under 30 cm square (12 inches by 12 inches). Also I really dislike modelled German subject matter from ww2 because I think it is so hard to do an original piece. So before I knock it too hard I had to at least try it...

Good references for the engine were required, it is the tamiya engine, the bay was scratchbuilt before I got the engine kit as going to show it empty.. but decided to make it more interesting with the mechanics checking oil etc.

The dio uses a piece of resin cobble road I had a few years ago with a trolly line cast in. I felt that although small I wanted to cram as much detail in as possible so there is nowhere to look without discovering a new surprise - the audience can go around the dio several times. The wall is Verlinden, the leaves are paper cut.

The story/ premise is very simple, The Sturmtiger is at a refuel/ resupply point close to the forward lines. Very late in the war, and the crew has to use whatever they can get to refuel the thristy beast - I figured be interesting to show them using jerry cans as scavenged fuel rather than loads of large drums (reminds us they (the Germans) ran out fuel and how hard it was to get). The Volkstrum and the crew commander discuss intelligence details with a map. The resup point has some mechanics who do what they can to have a look and check over the engine. Around the back in the "store" in the park, the available supplies are hidden along with one of the crew taking an opportunity to have a meal. Some of the crew help in the refueling.

All the figures are remodelled Tamiya plastic ones. The exception is the Volksturm which is resin Verlinden.

The tracks are white metal from Friul. I think I used the interior and the exterior PE set from Eduard.

The base had a small photo viewer screen it and a slideshow of reference material and title screens played run by batteries that lasted for several days without interference. This was a competition model.

Sorry for quality of my pics, my camera skills are quite ordinary and mostly the reason I do not post my older works.

please give feedback, It is built for an Audience, not for me!

Adam

The rifled barrel from the PE set..

Tamiya Bike hidden away..

This picture demonstrates why I hate dioramas with bits that hang over the edge - how do you fit glass cases to keep the dust off all that hard work ? The glass cass fits very snug and protects the contents well - I built it myself and was about $15 materials. Glass companies have diferent thickness and will cut to size and bevel the edges.

Lunchtime - my figure painting here is barely passable...

engine deck

this dio is almost a game of spot the known accessories in plastic.....

Adamskii
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 03:47 PM UTC
Very Well Done !

mil
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 04:22 PM UTC
Love it dude. I feel the same way about "spot the known accessory" haha. But not too much anyone can do about that. I like this though, lots of small details added, especially the bike hidden away. Well done

-Conor
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 08:26 PM UTC
what color do you use to spray paint the cobblestone pavement? dark gray?
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what color do you use to spray paint the cobblestone pavement? dark gray?

From memory. black undercoat, panzer grey spray for the cobbles, then various highlight colours so some cobbles are different colours (at random), a solid wash with burnt umber oil, followed with drybrush highlight of a milder, lighter gray. I think.

Adamski
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Nice job with the stuff that was available back then. You can tell the time period from the items that you used. It is like hearing an old song and remembering exactly what you were doing when the song was first popular.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:49 AM UTC

Hi Adam,

I am a big fan of your dios! You are very meticulous in both preparation and execution.

Your colour palette is basically "mine" (rather warm colours isn't it)

You include an awful lot of detail and small items in all your dios, but not at random like some other people who just grab a handful out of their spare-box and scatter them all over the place.

So please do post more pics of your former work!! You will certainly make my day!

And the photos aren't that bad actually!

Cheers

Romain
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 02:01 AM UTC
An excellent dio! Your attention the all aspects of detail is very inspiring. The toolbox, alone, looks like a complicated build.
 _GOTOTOP