_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Winter Whitewah & Weathering
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 03:51 AM UTC
Ok, so I got TankArt book 1 by Michael Rinaldi and, with a winter Stug to do, thought I would try the haitspray technique. Has a spare Pz1a turret (man they are small) so thought I would give it a bask - also looked at Oil Paint Rendering... anyway, while not perfect, the results I think are ok. This is my first HS attempt - have used oils before....

any comments (one thing I did find was that the chipping sometimes was a bit LARGE - was that because I wasn't leaving the paint long enough to dry before starting? the latter stages seemed a bit better...

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 02:29 AM UTC
The first time I tried the hairspray method it did not turn out well.I used Vallejo model air and the paint seems to have a rubbery texture.I then tried it again using Tamiya's flat white and had better results.
Also you say large chunks came off then don't cover the whole model in hairspray use a brush and paint it on the model where you want to chips to take place.
Going to try it again on my 1/72 tiger, soon as I get my new airbrush.
Practice makes perfect,now go and try it on your stug

Karl
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Chipping looks good,weathering and washing adds life to it for sure
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC
I try once using HS,paint chipping turn out to be very diffficult.scale modeling suggest bath the entire kit on water immediately .
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I try once using HS,paint chipping turn out to be very diffficult.scale modeling suggest bath the entire kit on water immediately .

i know for a fact that if it went in water and soaked the white would just come off in 1 lump... quite like the scrubbed look I got and yes, will do it on my StuG (may do my PaK 38 as another (bigger) test
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 07:25 PM UTC
Rob the wash looks good, it would wear off pretty quick for real anyway. The weathering makes the difference.I did the HS technic on a car last month for the 1st time, I let my paint dry over night and scrubbed it pretty hard after to remove paint.I guess it depends what media you use. But good job buddy.

Pete
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 07:55 PM UTC
thanks Pete, must say having Mike Rinaldi's book to hand, look at SBS photos of how it progressed helped me. lots of techniques for me to try but this one will go on the StuG
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Robert. The faded whitewash effect does look good. When weathering a winter scene, take colour temperature into account as well. Browns with "reddish" hues look warm and contrast the cold feeling. Add some blues or purples to these weathering colours to complete the cold affect. Even adding a little to the white would work also .... if using pure white, a lot of weathering is needed to tone it down, so I would add some grey or some other cold colours on this as well
robw_uk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Robert. The faded whitewash effect does look good. When weathering a winter scene, take colour temperature into account as well. Browns with "reddish" hues look warm and contrast the cold feeling. Add some blues or purples to these weathering colours to complete the cold affect. Even adding a little to the white would work also .... if using pure white, a lot of weathering is needed to tone it down, so I would add some grey or some other cold colours on this as well

cheers Frank, the main white was cut with buff to take it off pure, i used pure on some of the areas where whitewash may collected (a tip in TankArt). The brown is meant o be sort of rusting/chipping. I probably should've gone grey/black to take it closer to the colour of the paint. I tired to simulate wear on the hinges and areas where the crew might've gripped the hatch while in movement or when opening/closing it.

looking again there arent many "streaks" - I could imagine that the whitewash would streak more if there had been rain - not removing it completly but fading in more vertical marks vs being scuffed.....
 _GOTOTOP