_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
FEATURE: 1/16 Bulge Diorama
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 01:00 PM UTC
Some amazing photos and text from new contributor Warren Jones. Warren is a professional model builder sculptor who has worked many years in the movie biz. I've seen some of his other work on his now off-line Web site and it's really top notch. I'm jealous of course.

Check out his first installment of his 1/16 scale Battle of the Bulge dio HERE.

As ussual if you have comments or feedback for Warren please leave it here.

Thanks Warren!

Cheers,
Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 05:13 PM UTC

Whoa Jim !

This model is made SOOO good, I thoroughly looked at those pics for a long time, and I'm still not sure if these are pictures of a model or the real thing !

SUPERB paint job !!!

Jan

PS : Since everybody else already used the new smileys before I discovered them, I just stick to my favorite "classic" :
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 06:27 PM UTC
So where are the pictures of the MODEL?
Didn´t see any.

Mr. Jones, that´s some BEAUTIFUL character animation. Very life-like poses! I bet you´re a great drawer as well...

I can´t wait to see more of this!

Toni
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
I´m amazed by these paint techniques, but...
This looks to me as if the tank was dug out decades after the war and is now displayed in a museum unchanged. German tanks had an average life time of at about 2-4 weeks (Tigers maybe some weeks more...). Even considering a veteran, it cannot be as rugged as shown here. Often used items, like lowing hooks are rather polished than rusted like this.
Nevertheless he is a paint-master of outstanding quality. Wish I were half skilled than he is!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
personally i love 1/16th,keep it up

big is beautiful
WarrenJones
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
To Jim,

Thank You for your excellent and very proffessional work!

Cheers

To GeneralFailure,

Thanks for the compliment. It`s always encouraging to here positive comments. I don`t often get time to do my first love.......military dioramas...Cheers

Warren

To Envar,

Thank You. Actually I don`t consider myself an accomplished illustrator although I just finished a CD cover for Korsun 44 HPS Simulations.
I prefer to roughly sketch and move the figures around quite a bit and stare at it. You know how it is...Cheers.

Warren

To Viking,

Thank You.

Your opinion is true.....to a point.

1. Numerous Tiger I units were transfered, salvaged, and re-equiped prior to the Bulge campaign. Some came from maintenance units that were already in fair condition. Many had the original panzer grey underneath. Even late production ones. Paint was far more limited and often thinned out to go around. In the beginning they used fuel to thin (solvent bond), in the later stages they used water rendering the paint to a poor mechanical bond.
Iv`e seen logging cats weather and rust in two weeks in the bush beyond belief here on the west coast. Similiar weather and terrain in belgium/luxemburge. There is no way this depicted tiger was two weeks old. It`s an earlier version that has seen the fortunes of more than a few battles. It`s been fixed up during the campaign build up. In general Tigers never lasted that long but there is an exception to every rule. Say it isn`t so and one will find one like I have through research. If your curious i`ll mention there names because they are experts in the field of Tiger battalions. That`s why we are modellers.

2. Aristic Licence governs the day. I`m not finished with the paint job.....so please hang in there. Once you see the model in the dio alot of this detail will get blended away into the terrain. I`m known for weathering everything including a bright shinny car. They just don`t look right with the illusion of scale. Camera can make any model not look right no matter how good it is vica-versa. Lighting can change all this too.....Cheers.

I`ve seen your work and it`s very respectable and commanding.

With all due respect your criticism is welcome.

Warren

To sourKraut,

I love the bigger stuff also but it`s bloody expensive!

Cheers.

Warren Jones

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
Warren, very good stuff. Those detail pics are just awesome. Can't wait to see the next installment and a pic of the entire dio.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
Yes Warren, those pics are excellent !!!! I can't wait to see the whole thing when you get it finished........
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, very good stuff. Those detail pics are just awesome. Can't wait to see the next installment and a pic of the entire dio.

Where the heck you been? We thought you were consumed by some sea monster, nice to see you back!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Go for the artistic license. Its better looking good than historically correct and boring. With a talent like yours its a pleasure to see your work. Keep it up and get the next installment out soon.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where the heck you been? We thought you were consumed by some sea monster, nice to see you back!

Hey DJ. I've been around but not online that much the past couple of weeks because of lots o' stuff going on. Spent the majority of the week of memorial day (including memorial day) at the airport shuttling midshipmen to ships and squadrons for their summer cruises. Last week has been busy with stuff here at home (like replacing the water heater that decided to split at the seam) and stuff like that...Plus with the way Jim's been keeping me busy with work on the gallery (lol...j/k Jim...send more when you've got'em)...I've only been able to drop in and make a post now and then. I haven't even touched the corsair I'm working on for about two weeks...lol! Anyway, that's where I've been and it was nice to be missed...thanks TJ.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg........THE BEAUTY HURTS MY EYES....

Damn that guy is good..........If I only could perform like this.......ahh let me just try...and dream on....

Compliments to Warren all the way !!
WarrenJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
To,
TinCan, ladymodelbuilder, sarge, and Eagle.

Thank You for the compliments.

I`m hoping to punch some time into it on the weekend. She`s a big project.

Cheers

Warren Jones
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
warren,yes the big stuff is a lot more expensive,but i think its worth it
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
I agree that artistic liscence is the way to go... Exact reproduction is what cameras are for !!!

Well posed figures Warren, if you are trying to emote a sense of urgency and excitement then you have achieved that aim with me.

I would tend to agree with you on the wear and tear on your Tiger (especially from the elements). I too live in a very moist/humid climate (Toronto, Canada set on Lake Ontario) and have seen unprotected metal begin to rust very very quickly . I say this as a piece of garden sculpture purchased just weeks ago began to rust the moment we put it outside and is in desperate need of protection atm before it disappears !!!

I too anticipate more pictures of your work and sit here staring at my RC M4 Sherman Howitzer (my birthday present from a most excellent wife) and wonder when they will produce 1/16 scale rc figures to accompany my sherman into battle

MSW

WarrenJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 02:48 PM UTC
To BillyBishop,

Thank You,

Have you tried Dragon or Tamiya 1/16? Cheap compared to verlinden stuff.

Cheers.

Warren
CRYPTO1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Warren,

I look forward to seeing the rest of your article. All my best!

Cheers

Bruce
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
I just posted parts 3 & 4 of Warren's ongoing story.

Check it out!

Some of these shots I would swear I am looking at the real thing.

Cheers,
Jim
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:02 PM UTC
Warren, you are a MASTER !!!!!! :-) :-) Just love looking at that Tiger
WarrenJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:55 PM UTC
Yes,.....Thank You.
I just finished the stowage bin. (battle damage, paint, etc.). I have to get a little more done for next batch of pics. I`ve aslo been laying in the foam on the base. Hopefully I`ll have some shots of this progress....Cheers.

Warren
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Beautiful job Warren just jumps out at you
Jeff
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC
Just wanna read more, please!
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:25 PM UTC
What an amazing Model!
I have one question about the tracks.
On the model, the tracks have rust that seems to be on the raised detail. Wouldn't the effect be the opposite, having rust and dirt etc. build up in the lowered portions?
Thanks,
Andrew
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:35 AM UTC
Amazing... When I saw the pictures of the model, it was allmost looking at the 1:1 scale thing!
I'm stunned. John.
cartridge
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
I want to know how you did the rust?
 _GOTOTOP