_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best way to simulate ash on tank wheels?
panzerman
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi there,

Would anyone tell me a perfect way to simulate ash accumulated around rubber-rimmed roadwheels of a tank, which has totally burned out after being hit. I recall myself that I've read somewhere about baking soda, being used in that trick, but I'm not sure.

TIA,

Piotr :-)
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
Well pigments are great use. you can make black pigment from charcoal (for drawing, not barbeque) rubbing against sandpaper. Just scrub it on with your finger or brush. Pastels help to and can be used the same way.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
try to use real ash by powder it well to be fine without large piece due to scale and then use a spray form adhesive like 3M spray lil by lil where you want the effect and with a brush put ash over it so that it sticks. repea twice if needed to be correct t
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi. I read that years ago modeler's used cigarette ashes to do this. Of course, what with not that many people smoking anymore, or the dangers associated with smoking while modeling, this is not a good idea, but if you know somebody that smokes and can collect the ashes in something where they wouldn't get crushed, you could try this and see how effective it looks.

Take care, sgirty
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
I've seen the cigarette method used before. Looks pretty good. If that is a problem, try ashes from your BBQ grill. If that doesn't work, try the white/gray mix of pastels.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP