_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T55 Empty Engine Compartment
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Two questions which out of the New Verlinden Engine Compartment & the CMK is the best for wanting to use to as a start to make an empty engine compartment.

And does anyone have any photos of what the engine compartments look like empty Eg in a grave yard etc, any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mike

Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 11:07 PM UTC
I havejuststarted using the verlinden one. not the drop in but the full kit. it is not very detailled along the port and starport hull walls - you just stick bits to the kit. The engine floor is stock only the forward bulkhead and rear hull panel are replaced. As for the empty bits there are not many attachments in the kit that accomodate empty or missing fixtures.

I cannot comment on cmk engine, but I have the t55 interior and its possibly highly detailed - the quality of the resin is quite poor - feels and behaves like plastic almost and the risers are quite challenging to cut away from the part.

I think there is a review on PMMS by terry ashley ?

minor quality photos on my current bushmaster pmv blog

Adam
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply I had just finished reading your updated idea's on the PMV / 55 diorama lol, I think the new idea sounds very good & has lots of interesting bits going on.

Cheers Mike
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi Mike;

You mite like the old Verlinden T-62 Conversion set, im talking about the full detail set had the turret details also. I think it was the set too make a Destroyed Tank, the Engine set is the same for both the 55, & 62.
It mite be kind of hard too find, as its been around for quite a while.

G-Day; MIKE.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 12:48 PM UTC
The cylinder heads on any of the older Verlinden engines ar too far apart.
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 02:17 PM UTC

juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 02:21 PM UTC

Celticwerks, CW3501. :-)
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hi;

You can use any of the engines that are available from the other AM sets, they will fit with the compartment with the other details.
Ive super detailed two different engines in my other kits and did not encounter any problems.
And any problems of size of the engines are a easy problem too fix.
CHEERS; MIKE.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:21 PM UTC
I'm sure you're quite skilled, Mike. Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with this POS. As I said, the cylinder heads are noticeably too far apart. No calipers needed for this one. The fix isn't worth it as it's cast into the tub. A fair warning to anyone tempted by the ones that show up for sale from time to time...

Their newer one is not a drop in, but on principle, I don't think I'll be getting anything else from them . I like taking the engines from the Trumpeter kits like the the 122mm Type 89 Multiple Rocket Launcher. You get a kit and an engine for about 12 bucks.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi Robert;

I know of the problems that your refering too, ive gone that rout myself with the engine that you get with there kits.
That Module is what i used as my template for the Basic compartment layout.
I also have used pics of the engine and the engine bay for my conversions.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Mike, Robert & Juhasz,
Thank you very much for the replies & the info!!
As I am looking at doing it striped of the engine maybe the Celtic works one looks like it would fit the build best?
Also Juhasz thank you very much for posting some photos of the engine compartment as I not have any intel in that area!!
Cheers Mike
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 - 11:58 AM UTC
Those are great photos Juhasz has posted. If you're not going for the clean look, I stumbled upon some old photos today I took in the famed Kabul Boneyard in 2002. I digitized them off of prints so some quality may be lost.

Left Front:

Right Front:

Right Rear:

Right Rear:

The engines themselves:

And of course me back then, forty years young:

Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

Thank you so very much for posting those awesome photos!!! Hopefully I will be able to do them justice when I make my build.

I don't suppose you ever got down to Kandahar when you were in country by chance?? It is just that the 55 that I am looking at trying to make was in their scrap yard.

It is the one that the decals are on a Bison sheet it is an ex Taliban tank covered in yellow, light blue & black circles,half moons & the like over the original soviet green

Once again many thanks for the photos supplied & glad you made it out of A'stan safe & sound.

Cheers Mike
 _GOTOTOP