_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman ambulance
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
Does anyone know if the 1/35 Legend Production (LF1003) conversion has an interior or anywhere that shows what parts are in it? Hard to find details on it, also looking to see whats included with their M113 accessory set (LF1011).

And does anyone know what the MP Models kit of the M-50 sherman is like? I missed out on both this and the conversion at Duxford
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC
I can answer your question about the MP M50: It's very much old-school molding tech, lots and lots of ejector pin marks, small parts are mostly crude, suspension is reasonably accurate but not real sharp molding. However, the basic hull and turret are quite good. Keep in mind that the technology used to produce it is as least 20 years old. Head to head, the Dragon M50 is a better build. That being said, I still pick them up at shows and such if they're around or under $20, lots of good parts. I wouldn't be too upset at having passed one up, there still seem to be quite a few out there.
I think I have a pic of the turret from a current M50 build I'm doing, before I did a bunch of mods to it.
Earliest pic I took:

And right before paint:

I hope this is helpful.
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:22 AM UTC
The Legend kit is just a shell, nice detail, but mine is too short. The vehicles are built on the long hull, so some creative stretching is needed. Unfortunately, resin shrinks, and all too often, allowance is not made for it in the master.
Be nice on the MP Models M50. :-) It is actually from 1988, and it was only two of us. Until Tasca, it was the most accurate M4A4 around. Believe it or not, it was done solely from photographs from the Budge collection, not actually having seen an M50 in the "flesh" until 1992. I would actually recommend using it over the Dragon kit:
1. MP kit, for upper/lower hull.
2. Tank Workshop conversion set.
3. Tasca suspension and tracks
4. Formations or DEF Models turret
5. Aber photoetch if you care for that

If costs are a factor, one could just use the MP kit, but correct the gunner's sight to earlier flat style; cut down the center portion of the weather strip on top of the forward extension and replace the jerrican holders; do some AMS detailing and it will turn out fine. There were M50s with HVSS and the 3-pc nose.

Tom
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
Tom,

The work you and Bill Miley did with the MP kits has held up remarkably well. Kudos to the two of you. I still have a bunch of these kits. Even a preliminary/prototype set of the HVSS suspension in white metal! I'm sure these are yours as they are exactly the same as the styrene parts produced as MP products at about the same time. This was a long time before there were any other HVSS sets on the market.

Paul
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
Sorry, Tom, I didn't mean to sound harsh. For a couple of guys doing something pretty much on their own, the results were outstanding, especially given the time frame. And I DO still buy the upper hull conversion kits whenever I see them.
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
Russell and Paul, thanks for the kind words. It was an interesting and enlightening experience. I don't complain much about pin marks, as much as I used to. :-) I "fondly" remember hand-polishing mold cavities long into the night!!

Tom
Mox1983
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 02:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies everyone. Shame I missed out on the kit, was only £1 but was missing the turret and some other parts. Didn't matter as the guy was selling the Legend conversion for £25. Oh well, swings and roundabouts, eh?
Added to the fact that I've got WAY too much on the pending pile....
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't complain much about pin marks, as much as I used to. :-) I "fondly" remember hand-polishing mold cavities long into the night!!

Yeah, there's nothing like doing work yourself to appreciate others' efforts in the same line.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP