_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M24 Chaffee Interior
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
I'm thinking of starting the Bronco Chaffee kit with the Verlinden interior set. It seems the interior is missing the turret basket? Am I correct? Is there a better interior?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking of starting the Bronco Chaffee kit with the Verlinden interior set. It seems the interior is missing the turret basket? Am I correct? Is there a better interior?

There is no turret basket.
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 05:05 AM UTC
Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure. Is the Verliden interior pretty much complete?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure. Is the Verliden interior pretty much complete?

It looks pretty good from pictures, but I've never seen it up close.

I scratched a pretty basic partial interior for my Bronco Chaffee.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203417#1704260
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi! I have a VERLINDEN M24 Chaffee Interior Upgrade kit for the BRONCO M24 kit. There aren't very many resin parts for the turret in this upgrade simply because the BRONCO kit already contains a good number of parts in the turret assembly, especially for the main gun. Where the VERLINDEN M24 Upgrade really shines is in the drivers' compartment. I also have the VERLINDEN M24 Engine Compartment Upgrade, with the twin-Cadillac engines, etc. This is also a very nice upgrade for this kit. I don't build the vast majority of my 1/35 armor with interiors, because I either install crew members inside the hatches, or I finish my tanks "buttoned up". All of my stuff goes into display behind glass or in modified plexi display cases, so I really don't need to have many tanks with interiors. But, I go to the absolute maximum on the exteriors, with PE and resin upgrades. Where really I go wild with interior detailing is with my 1/35 Softskins, 1/48 Aircraft and 1/24 & 1/25 cars... The VERLINDEN Interior and Engine Compartment Upgrade Kits really come in handy if you're going to compete in contests or shows. I used to build for custom orders about 15 years ago- now I build strictly for my own pleasure...
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
I just took another look, and it looks pretty solid. The Verlinden interior misses the escape hatch behind the hull machine gunner's position, which is provided by Bronco. It's been a few months since I looked at my references, but on the right hand side of the hull floor, there is a significant notch that allows access to said escape hatch.

It's pretty complete otherwise. Definitely pickup a reference or two for the interior. Toadman's CD was quite good, as was the WWP volume. The Squadron Walk-around is solid as well for interior bits.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 03:11 AM UTC
I agree with Jesse- good reference is KEY to building any kit where accuracy is desired... You may also want to refer to AMPERSAND's booklet on the M24... The WWP and Squadron books are also very good for reference...
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
The Allied-Axis on the Chaffee is ok, but not as good as the others mentioned. It does have some nice larger format period photos of Chaffees in action though.
 _GOTOTOP