_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.H photo etch kit
madjelly
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 06:44 PM UTC
Hey everyone,

I am new to armor building but have experience with miniature building/painting. For learning purposes picked up a Dragon #9029 1/35 Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.H from a local swap meet. Decided that also might want to practice working with photo etched parts on the above kit. I have been doing research and found that back in the day Dragon released a pe kit for the above model with number P35-165. Unfortunately, I did not find any other pe kits for ausf.h. I would like to know if the full kits even exist, or I will need to compile parts from different sources?

Thanks
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC
I suspect you could get away with using the Voyager set for the E-F or the Eduard set designed for Zvezda's F, which might be a Dragon re-pop or vice-verse? Most of the parts are for clamps and fender flaps etc, so they would be universal. If you're just doing a build to get familiar with pe, I'd go with the Eduard set, it's cheaper. They also do a zoom set which is just basically exhaust screen mesh and a few bits and bobs.

Kimmo
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Dan

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I was there only a few months ago.

If I were you I'd go for something relatively simple for your first venture. There's an art to it and most of the difficulty is actually in the glueing. I use superglue relatively seldom, I've tried epoxy but it's a pain to mix. Ive had more luck with hybid glue which is similar to superglue but with a 5 min drying time so there's plenty of time to tweak it about and position the part. It's not as strong as superglue, but works for me.

Start simple and build your way up. I did a III with full pe fenders. Personally I would shy away from that complexity in your first outing, it was a pain.

Remember to think about whether pe adds any detail. Many plastic parts are well detailed and pe doesnt really add a lot other than difficulty. You'll notice the difference on clamps etc. But you'll be forgiven if you find them impossible - I cheat and use Eduard one piece clamps now which makes them loads easier

Hope that helps

Andy
madjelly
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 11:02 AM UTC
Checked up on the Eduard pe kits. They look like exactly what I need. Good addons without going too technical. I am building for practice at this point. History police wont arrest me for omitting accuracy at this point.

Thanks for the advices
madjelly
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 - 04:49 PM UTC
I ordered Eduard pe kit and rb models barrel. Will post pics once they arrive. I think it would be useful for people with the same issue.
 _GOTOTOP