_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Easy Shadows
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 03:07 PM UTC
I have found that Tamiya acryl Smoke X-19 works great, for shadows. You can mix it lean or rich, depending on your technique. Just apply it, after all other paints to areas that would be shaded.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 05:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it sometime.

Bob
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 08:33 PM UTC
Matt and Bob, Yes the post shading method with X-19 works really well. The only thing I will say about it is it's a slow process. You can't rush as it takes awhile for the paint to show up. It's very subtle. Here's a Sheridan I did awhile ago using this method.

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
i am actually going to be using this method on the KT that i have on the bench. still working on the actual ambush scheme at the moment, but will be using the smoke for post shading and tamiya buff (highly thinned) for highlights
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC
So let me see if I understand this process.I'm looking at the Sheridan which looks very good Jeff.You apply the Tamiya Smoke along the seams in a very gradual buildup,this darkens the panel lines thus making the center of the panels appear lighter,as if they have worn due to sun and weather ?
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
i would presume that is what he did. that is what my plan is. i know what i will be doing with mine is thinning it quite a bit so it isnt so prominent, and just build it up gradually so it isnt overdone.

Not sure what kind of thinning ratios he used on this.

I actually learned of this technique a month or so ago from an online tutorial
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 07:15 PM UTC
Postshading can be very effective, I've seen a lot of good results from modelers who've used this technique.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 08:39 PM UTC
Anthony and jesseSorry Guys about the slow reply. I did not mean to post and run

Tony, Thank you for the comment, and you got it right on the nose my friend. That's exactly what you do.

jesse,I picked up this method right here on Armorama. But I'll be kicked if I can find the thread now I can't remember what thinning ratio I used.X-19 doesn't have a lot of color in it, as you probably know . I do remember that it took 3-4 coats before it really started to show up and it was pretty thin, so I'm guessing somewhere near 1/1 or maybe a little more.

A few of the things I found
Lower your air pressure and cut back your fluid delivery. You want VERY light coats.

Don't rush. It may take 3-4 coats for the stuff to start showing up, but that's what you want.

The beauty of this is that, if you go too fast, or put too much on at once, you can easily correct it by letting it dry and then re-applying some of your base color. Ask Me how I know

That just about covers it. Matt did I miss anything? If you Guys have any more questions just ask. Jeff T.

Oh one last thing. Practice, practice, practice on scrap before you try it on your build.

_GOTOTOP