_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrush painting 1/72 armor
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi,I'm starting to paint my T-62 and would like to know a couple of things. First I'm using a Iwata eclipse like I've been for years and at the psi of around 5-10,but for some reason the company must have did some tweaking to their brushes cause after replacing a new cone and needle the brush doesn't want to respond like before.
Now I know I didn't do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to the cleaning of such brushes,so I'm not sure what's up. I did call Iwata and told them my situation and all I got was maybe my paint wasn't properly thinned...NOT. I was also told that Tamiya/Iwata brushes are not to low psi friendly,normally I use any where from 5-10 psi for models that are 1/72 and smaller. Any suggestions on how to airbrush in this scale and with these type of brushes? One thing I will not go to another airbrush,just can't afford to.
Thank you
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
The only suggestion I can make is that I normally use about 15psi or more (an Iwata Revolution) - does turning the pressure up to that level make the brush behave any better? 5lbs sounds low to me, but then again I definitely don't claim to be an expert. Do you not get spattering droplets of paint at that low a pressure?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
I would agree with trying to increase the pressure a little bit. I tend to try to keep the pressure low myself and sometimes run into problems like this.

That said, when painting with an airgun for automotive applications you want to keep the air pressure down as low as possible while using the largest spread/fan of paint that you can so that you gently lay the paint down on whatever it is you are painting. I haven't successfully applied this in entirety to airbrushes, so maybe I'm missing something.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
I use an Iwata Eclipse and an Iwata High Performance - Plus and i never go below 8psi. but normally spray 15psi. give or take depending on the paint and how thin. When i spray at low pressures, its usually Tamiya paint only - very thin, but i have very good control of it.....lots of practice. Life color paints i always have to spray at higher pressures and dont lend themselves well to 1/72 airbrush camo and the like....Just My opinion.

Did you make sure the Needle and nozzel were the same size, .35mm. The Eclipse HP-CS .35mm and the Eclipse HP-BCS Needle and Nozzles .5mm, just curious. Good luck man!
 _GOTOTOP