1/72 MAUS frpm Pegasus
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hello,

I am currently building the Pegasus Maus.
The model is simole to build except for the suspension.

Detail is good, some filling and sanding is required but nothing terrible. The tracks are very well done, the material is soft vinyl easy to handle.

The model was build out of the box, I just added some mesh wire inside the louvres and did some putty work on the front glacis plate. Also a PE Nahverteidigungswaffe (close defend weapon) was added on the turret roof.

I need some help on the following.

The extra fuel tank on the rear had a hose to supply fuel to the tank. Does anybody has a pic of that?

Someone noted that the side armor should not have cast texture because it wasnt rolled. Can anyone verify this?

P.A.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC
That was a very good kit from Pegasus. Probably better than the Dragon kit. Too bad they didn't produce more in 1/72 (not the wargaming series).
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The extra fuel tank on the rear had a hose to supply fuel to the tank. Does anybody has a pic of that?

Someone noted that the side armor should not have cast texture because it wasnt rolled. Can anyone verify this?

Alexander,

I know that from seeing the erhntly Blog that that suspension is positively crazy. As for your questions, just have a look through the Google images. In particular are the ones a Kubinka that show quite smooth hull and turret sides. You can also see a video taken at Kubinka of the Maus on YouTube. While not the greatest it does show the predominately smooth sides.

Cheers,
Jan
FlorinM
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 385 posts
Armorama: 211 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC
The armor on the Maus was not cast, it was in fact the finest rolled armor, Navy armor plates rerolled to 2000*2300*200 thick according to Panzer Tracts 6-3, page 6-3-14. It was milled and not flame cut so that it won't get weakened.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:51 PM UTC
@PanzerAlexander – Alexander,

On one photograph you have most of the kit parts, still attached to the sprues with a few still in the clear plastic bag, all laid out on the table and ‘bam’ the kit is all slapped together on the next photograph.

You got an excellent well explained answer to your question on the armor texture for these vehicles. I have this kit in the stash and it does provide you with somewhat of a lumpy texture so I can see were the reference could be made for it looking like a cast texture. The positive part of this is that you could easily use a small sanding block and level out the raised textured areas leaving it as flat as possible without of course harming the flame cut and weld joints. This should leave you with some recessed areas but these shouldn’t be too deep either. You could carefully mask off the flame cut and weld joints and spray a few coats of enamel primer (car models) and sand that down after it has set and that should take care of the deep areas. Another and more simple way would be to use a paint brush and stipple on some Mr. Surfacer 500 and sand that down (my preferred method).

Anyhow you have a good start on your build, looking forward to seeing more.

~ Eddy
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The armor on the Maus was not cast, it was in fact the finest rolled armor, Navy armor plates rerolled to 2000*2300*200 thick according to Panzer Tracts 6-3, page 6-3-14. It was milled and not flame cut so that it won't get weakened.

I would have to second this. Those armor plates would be horrible to have to cast.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 09:30 PM UTC
Thank you for your answers.

I did sand down the side plates of the hull and the turret to make them smoothier.

Anyway, the tank is ready for paint and will have an update soon.

Very recently erhntly did a presentation of the assembly so I thought this was covered.

Still no answer about the hose position if anyone has any data I'd be glad to have it.
P.A.
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for but here it is, hope this helps you out?

You may have to add the small circular raised fuel line opening on the fuel tank for the fuel line (hose), as per the drawing, I believe this is not rendered on this kit?

~ Eddy
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Eddy,

Very nice pic thanks.

If I understand correctly the hose enters inside the tank as soon as it meets the grilles?

P.A.
Braille
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Eddy,

Very nice pic thanks.

If I understand correctly the hose enters inside the tank as soon as it meets the grilles?

P.A.

Yes, the hose would enter through the same grill as portrayed in the drawing. The drawing shows these openings as having a protective screen under them but on the real vehicles these screens were in fact thick grills somewhat hexagon shaped easily providing an opening for a hose. Alexander, glad this is what you were looking for, looking forward to your next update. . .

~ Eddy
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 09:05 AM UTC
After quite some time I had the chance to make some progress.
It's hard to model during the summer, too many distractions .

The model is on the process of weathering (did filters, washes and currently doing scratches).

It looks rather plain now but it will get better.

TBC
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Alexander

This litte one look very nice. Very cool camo, too!

I like it.

Cheers Daniel
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hey Alexander,

It's looking quite good already and I find the splinter camouflage quite interesting. The weathering to this point looks very effective.

Cheers,
Jan
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 08:37 PM UTC
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have put some further work on the model, just to finish off the S.Heavy Campaign but will continue to work as soon as I get back from vacation.

P.A.
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 01:32 AM UTC
Goooood job my friend !!
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
Erhan, thank for taking the time to comment.

Model is done, I even bothered to construct a small dispaly base. The wooden base came in 2 pieces made by my local carpenter all I did was glue them with white glue and paint it with wood water based varnish. The little nameplate was made by a local sign maker for some coins.

I hope you enjoy.

See you on next project, P.A.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 10:50 AM UTC
Very nice, Alexander. It looks like you have an award winner there.

madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 12:56 AM UTC
Excellent work P.A,and the wheathering is first class!
 _GOTOTOP