Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M109 Vietnam
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:01 AM UTC
I've just noticed that Tamiya will be releasing a version of the M109 from the Vietnam war era.
For those that know about these things I was wondering how it looked. Do there appear to be any issues with it so far?

Joe.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
It is a rebox of the Italeri M109 with figures and gunshields from Tamiya's M113A1 ACAV kit. The Italeri kit isn't that great, it is over 30 years old. For the price, I don't think it is worth it. I would either get the Italeri M109 (recently reissued and available for about $25) and add the M109 specific parts to the far superior AFV Club M109A2 kit, or wait for AFV Club to come out with an M109 kit.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC
Thanks Gino, you've definitely steered me in the right direction there.
I did hear that AFV Club were going to be releasing a Vietnam version. How true is this rumour?

Joe.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
Tamiya is getting carried away with the reboxing of those below standard italeri kits
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did hear that AFV Club were going to be releasing a Vietnam version. How true is this rumour?

Joe.

ever since they released their current M109, there has been a constant rumor that they would. But looking at it, and reading what Gino has said. It would be a major retool to get there. I'm not really up to speed on the 109's as I was only around them a couple times and trained on them for about a week. But on the otherhand, if they did do an RVN 109, it would be an easy follow up to do the M108! (now we really need that one!)

I'm seriously wanting AFV to do a new tooled M110 / M107 platform. There are four SPG's you could build out of those two kits, plus the M578 from the Vietnam era alone. There were M110's converted into 175mm guns, and 175 guns converted into 8" SPG's. Plus the standard ones as well. (there are some small differences between the M107 and M110). Usually whole batterys made the change over (normally split between M107'sand M110's)
gary
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 05:14 AM UTC
Given AFV Club's selection of Vietnam-era subjects, I still think that there's a very good chance of seeing the M109.

Fantastic idea on the idea for a new M107/M110 (and M578) series, all of which would be awesome!

Of course, we'll need Vladi of Bravo Six to sculpt some killer cannon cocker figures. I think the only option that we currently have for artillerymen is some of the older Verlinden offerings.

Fingers crossed that we see that M109 from AFV (not to mention the promised "How-6" amtrac) in less time than it took to see the Duster.

Lastly, yep, the re-boxes are a bit of a drag, but I'd consider picking the re-boxed M109 up if it came with Italeri's new track set and was at a price point suitable the quality of the kit .

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Italeri's new track set...

Another release not worth the effort nor cost. They are length and link tracks with no details on the sides of the end connectors and not that much of an improvement over the vinyl tracks.

I will stick with AFV Club and Riich Model indi-link sets. They are both very nice.
trickymissfit
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
Somebody is supposed to be coming out with an M37 3/4ton truck, and keep in mind that just about every company was issued them! Why we can't get an M54 five ton is still baffling to me. Every Arty unit was issued them as well as CAV units and armor units.

Another odd one that seems to have missed the 1/35th scale beat, is the old hawk missile battery. I know for a fact that they deployed at least one hawk battery in Vietnam (slightly northeast of the runways at Chu Lai near the chopper refueling site). Now I only saw that one site, but suspect there were some others north of there. Renwall did the M55 8" SPG, but I know for a fact that the Marines deployed the 155mm version (I saw one or two).

Lets pray that AFV or Dragon has the bones to seriously produce an accurate Vietnam era M551 Sheridan. The Academy kit is a light year better than the old Tamiya version, but still needs a lot of work. For me the up and coming M37 kit is an absolute must at my house, and will probably end up with two or three of them before it's all said and done
gary
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another odd one that seems to have missed the 1/35th scale beat, is the old hawk missile battery. I know for a fact that they deployed at least one hawk battery in Vietnam (slightly northeast of the runways at Chu Lai near the chopper refueling site).

Nimix has released a 1/35th scale one in resin (kit #3536) :

H.P.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Somebody is supposed to be coming out with an M37 3/4ton truck, and keep in mind that just about every company was issued them! Why we can't get an M54 five ton is still baffling to me. Every Arty unit was issued them as well as CAV units and armor units.

Another odd one that seems to have missed the 1/35th scale beat, is the old hawk missile battery. I know for a fact that they deployed at least one hawk battery in Vietnam (slightly northeast of the runways at Chu Lai near the chopper refueling site). Now I only saw that one site, but suspect there were some others north of there. Renwall did the M55 8" SPG, but I know for a fact that the Marines deployed the 155mm version (I saw one or two).

Lets pray that AFV or Dragon has the bones to seriously produce an accurate Vietnam era M551 Sheridan. The Academy kit is a light year better than the old Tamiya version, but still needs a lot of work. For me the up and coming M37 kit is an absolute must at my house, and will probably end up with two or three of them before it's all said and done
gary

The M37 Master is coming along Gary but I'm sticking to the August release just to make sure it's right. M54 5 ton? Maybe someday.
I second the motion for a new-tool Sheridan!
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joe.

ever since they released their current M109, there has been a constant rumor that they would. But looking at it, and reading what Gino has said. It would be a major retool to get there. I'm not really up to speed on the 109's as I was only around them a couple times and trained on them for about a week. But on the otherhand, if they did do an RVN 109, it would be an easy follow up to do the M108! (now we really need that one!)

I'm seriously wanting AFV to do a new tooled M110 / M107 platform. There are four SPG's you could build out of those two kits, plus the M578 from the Vietnam era alone. There were M110's converted into 175mm guns, and 175 guns converted into 8" SPG's. Plus the standard ones as well. (there are some small differences between the M107 and M110). Usually whole batterys made the change over (normally split between M107'sand M110's)
gary

Gary
the the m107 was converted to the M110 the m110 mounted a 8 in gun
jwest21
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There were Hawk batteries in Nha Trang and Cam Ranh Bay, as well. My dad was an MP assigned to guard them at both those places and also Chu Lai
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Another odd one that seems to have missed the 1/35th scale beat, is the old hawk missile battery. I know for a fact that they deployed at least one hawk battery in Vietnam (slightly northeast of the runways at Chu Lai near the chopper refueling site).

Nimix has released a 1/35th scale one in resin (kit #3536) :

H.P.

does it come with the radar units? This is all new news for me
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

The M37 Master is coming along Gary but I'm sticking to the August release just to make sure it's right. M54 5 ton? Maybe someday.
I second the motion for a new-tool Sheridan!

The M37 truck was actually more common than Jeeps once you got away from the built up areas. They used them for everything from picking up the mail to towing a 75mm Pack howitzer (Koreans used this combo)

The M54 truck was actually a very common piece of equipment over there. Every Arty unit had several of them (at least six), and their supply folks also had them. I'd like to see a Dodge, and at least a Ford or Chevy step side pickup truck from that era. All the big flight lines had them.

The Sheridan could stand to have a completely new drivers hatch, if nothing else! None of the kits seem to have a very good turret. Some hulls had the bolt on added armor, and some didn't. There were also at least two (and maybe three) styles of shields for the fifty cal mounted on top.

Another easy one to make is the sheet metal culverts used all over the place. There were several sizes used that went from about three feet across to ones that went eight feet across. The six foot ones were used everywhere. But do them without the sand bags on them as this gives the user a lot of artistic license.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There were Hawk batteries in Nha Trang and Cam Ranh Bay, as well. My dad was an MP assigned to guard them at both those places and also Chu Lai

Funny thing about the ones up ontop the hill north of the runways in Chu Lai was that the chopper refueling pad there was manned by an NG outfit based about twenty minutes east of me! Never spoke with them while I went thru there. Went to Cam Ranh Bay several times, but never noticed the Hawks. I hit Nha Trang a couple times, but was in and outta there in a few hours. After Tet in 68, I never got to go into the airbase as much as I used to. When I did it was for an hour or two, and then we were outta there. (first stop was the Air Force mess hall, and then onto the PX's).

Tell your Dad I said "welcome home brother!"
gary
jwest21
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Funny thing about the ones up ontop the hill north of the runways in Chu Lai was that the chopper refueling pad there was manned by an NG outfit based about twenty minutes east of me! Never spoke with them while I went thru there. Went to Cam Ranh Bay several times, but never noticed the Hawks. I hit Nha Trang a couple times, but was in and outta there in a few hours. After Tet in 68, I never got to go into the airbase as much as I used to. When I did it was for an hour or two, and then we were outta there. (first stop was the Air Force mess hall, and then onto the PX's).

Tell your Dad I said "welcome home brother!"
gary

Will do Gary. thanks for your service!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does it come with the radar units?

No, but they've also released a loaded transport trailer separately (#3517) :

On a side note, you can build a complete battery (including the tracked laucher) in 1/87th scale using Trident kits...

H.P.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joe.

gary

Gary
the the m107 was converted to the M110 the m110 mounted a 8 in gun

I always thought that with the exception of the travel lock, there was no difference between the M110 and the M107 but the barrels. But there was. The recuperators (sp) are also different. And M110 converted to a 175 gun will need an added travel lock at the front, but the M107 converted to an 8" doesn't. I've seen it done both ways.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

does it come with the radar units?

No, but they've also released a loaded transport trailer separately (#3517) :

On a side note, you can build a complete battery (including the tracked laucher) in 1/87th scale using Trident kits...

H.P.

Frenchy,

if you build the Hawk battery, be advised that all the missiles were painted white! Least wise everyone I saw were.

I suppose a guy could maybe scratch built the other stuff. Be an interesting dio.
gary
 _GOTOTOP