_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Torch colors and markings
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
Folks, I know this is an Allied board, but since this question is about Vichy French armor I am hoping maybe one of you may be able to help. I need a little help on a project I hope to get to work on soon. I am looking for information on markings and paint colors and or schemes used on the R35 tanks employed by the Vichy French in Morocco at the time of the Torch landings in November 1942. I have tried near every permutation I can think of on the internet and keep coming up empty, so any help or suggections as to where to turn would be appreciated.
fificat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
From what I have seen of discussions about the Vichy French troops, they seem to have used the same uniforms, weapons, and gear as the regular French soldiers of the time. I would expect that their tanks would be marked the same as before 1940.
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
That was my expectation as what I have read and seen in Europe seems to substantiate that information. The problem is finding any information on the R35 vehicles utilized by the 62 BCC in Morocco. All I have found is some information claiming they had about 26 tanks and some historical information on their insignia, but no colors or schemes. The Samur museum has two R35 sporting a two tone tan and dark red brown scheme with large blue ace of spades on the turrets, but I have no idea what the unit is. I am attempting to locate a cop[y of the Trackstory #4 on the R35 to see if it might be helpful; no such luck as of yet. Thanks for the info.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I have seen of discussions about the Vichy French troops, they seem to have used the same uniforms, weapons, and gear as the regular French soldiers of the time. I would expect that their tanks would be marked the same as before 1940.

Doesn't the old HELLER kit of the Renault R-35 show a Vichy French R-35 in their painting instructions? I have one of those in my stash, but I'm inclined to agree that the R-35s in French Morocco were painted in the same camo schemes as the ones in France... There were several DIFFERENT paint schemes that the R-35s appeared in...

BRONCO's Hotchkiss H-38/39s also show different schemes in their Painting Instructions, as does TAMIYA's French Char B1 bis...
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks Dennis. The old Heller kit is the one I am going to use, other than resin it is still the only one available, but alas the instructions have managed to disappear, so I cannot say if they include a Vichy scheme or not. Any chance you could possibly scan and email me a copy of the instructions?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dennis. The old Heller kit is the one I am going to use, other than resin it is still the only one available, but alas the instructions have managed to disappear, so I cannot say if they include a Vichy scheme or not. Any chance you could possibly scan and email me a copy of the instructions?

Hi! I don't have a digital camera with a USB port or a "smart phone"- I know, I'm still living in the 19th Century. This sounds like a bunch of excuses that I'm throwing at you, but what makes this a little bit complicated is the fact that I've just moved, so I'm going to have to dig through all my models to find that HELLER R-35. (Over 500 of them are still un-built, but HUNDREDS are built...) Once I find it, I'll be happy to photo-copy the instructions and forward them to you- It could take a few days though, because only about three-quarters of my un-built kits are here at my new place. Just bear with me- I'm an amputee, so it's a little bit hard for me to get around, sometimes. I'll get back in touch with you asap.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS- That resin kit of the R-35 is pretty expensive, even when compared to other resin tanks on the market. The Vichy French didn't bother to repaint all their vehicles once they signed the Armistice at Compiegne for the SECOND TIME, in 1940. I've got a few books in my book collection that cover French pre-war and WWII Camo schemes. As memory serves, most French vehicles, whether they were in France or in French Morocco, were painted in the standard multi-colored camo schemes. If you're in a rush, and if you have any of the H-38/39 Hotchkiss tank kits, you can also refer to them for color schemes. In the meantime, I'll be looking for my R-35...
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 06:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the help Dennis, no hurry on the instructions and I will see what I can find as well.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the help Dennis, no hurry on the instructions and I will see what I can find as well.

Hi, Steve! I haven't come across that HELLER R-35 of mine yet, but you'll be the first to find out once I do.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 01:10 PM UTC
Dang.. I thought I could be the hero. I did recalled I had 2 Heller kits so I dug through my stash looking to see if I had instructions I could scan and found I only have the Heller H35 and S35 both presented in captured German colors. Sorry

Cheers
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 01:50 PM UTC
Thanks for trying.
 _GOTOTOP