_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Alternative to Future for Gunze acrylics...
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hello,

I've read that future floor polish does not react well to Gunze acrylic paints (i.e. the paint cracks underneath).

Does anyone know of a good alternative to future as a gloss coat for decaling? I primarily bought these paints for my modern jets (i.e. f-16, f-14, etc.) as I heard they were good... but I didn't know about the future problem

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
I've never had that problem.

Gunze Acrylics do seem to take a long time to cure, so perhaps the issue is not so much with the future, but with the fact that people are overpainting the gunze with future (or anything) before it has cured.

I tend to build rather slowly, so it's unusual for me to be applying future over anything without the preceding coat having been left for at least a week, perhaps that's why I've never noticed any cracking.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC
I have had issues applying Future over Tamiya acryls. It turns pebbly. No problems applied over enamels and lacquers. For this reason, I am getting a bottle of Testors glosscote. Hopefully, this will remedy the problem. I would recommend trying a different media of paint, for the gloss cote.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 10:18 AM UTC
I agree with Phil. Cracks forming is usually the symptom of the underlying coat not being fully dry, "pulling" the coat of Future into cracking.
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hello gents

So I presume the authors that have had trouble with future over Gunze acrylics was a result of not letting the paint of coat to dry. In any case, I didn't realize Gunze made a clear coat in their acrylic line called H30... I'll buy some just in case

Thanks everyone!
 _GOTOTOP