_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jerry cans
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 03:41 AM UTC
Need some help here.
What type of "Jerry" cans are used by IDF forces and what colour and markings are used for "water".
Any one with any pictures...cheers....Kenny
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
They are locally-made, IDF specific cans. They are made out of plastic and are black in color.

You can see one below on thie IDF M51 from the '73 Yom Kipper War.

And on these M113s as well.

Here is a set in resin by Elephant Models.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
The black water cans come in two sizes. There is a short version as well. As for the other part of your question, which types were used, you may use US or German ones as well for fuel. The metal ones the IDF uses are identical to the old German ones.

majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Not sure of their accuracy, but Academy's "Allied and Germany Tank Supplies Set II" #13261 has Israeli Jerry Cans in it:

HTH
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hay grate thread!
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Kenneth,

there is another type of Jerry Can the IDF uses: tan in colour (fuel) and with a different cap:

Concerning the black water cans: You will have difficulties finding pictures of small black water cans. I wanted to place one on one of my models and my israeli friends said, they donīt recall having seen a small size one during all of their army time. (what they did recall was the pleasant taste of plastic when drinking water from sun heated cans)

The Academy Jerry cans are ok but not perfect. The ones that Gino showed are much better.

Happy modelling
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:31 AM UTC
Thank you all for your help.!
Gino, I have tried Elephant Models but could not get their site to work but thanks for your help...cheers....Kenny
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC
Interesting. This pic (as the others above do) shows a US water jug, not a fuel can.

I had forgotten about the Academy water cans. They are quite good and should be pretty easy to find. They have some other nice gear with them as well. I don't really know about Elephant. I just ran across their site when I was looking for a pics to show you.
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 08:51 PM UTC
You have all been very helpfull, from what you have been indicating; the colour for water cans is BLACK but I could use a mixture of cans as long as they are Black?.

Gino, I have found some one who sell the Elephant resin cans (Google) but as I only want two at the most I think I will use those from Academy, which I have...cheers....Kenny
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC

Accurate Armor makes a set of them as well as Royal model and Tank workshop I think.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Concerning the black water cans: You will have difficulties finding pictures of small black water cans. I wanted to place one on one of my models and my israeli friends said, they donīt recall having seen a small size one during all of their army time.

They are indeed not plentiful on the net. It would seem they were used primarily on the M151. They appear in print media as well, to wit: Zaloga's Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars, 1948-1973, page 68.

To avoid confusion, the above photo is not from the book, but rather the net.

Steve, in response to your last question: The WATER cans are black, unless using the US ones I mentioned. The metal fuel cans are generally the same color as the vehicles, although other colors were used. If you go with the German pattern you will not be wrong.
 _GOTOTOP