_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Life color thinner
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
Seems like all of a sudden life color thinners suddenly became hard to come by. This true even on EBay , it's either that or you got to pay close to 20 bucks for a big bottle because of where they are available and that's across the ocean. Here in the USA nobody seems to stock them . Steven international which is down the road is completely out of stock and they don't know when the next resupply is going to be . You guys got the same problems ?
scottv
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Edmund,Just looked at Sprue Brothers,they have the large bottle and the small in stock at least according to their web site. Hope this helps
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC
I'll do right now . Thanks
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 09:33 PM UTC
I guess it's a sign of the times , boy was I in for a shock when it came to the shipping. It's actually cheaper to purchase the thinner from England than to buy it locally by a couple of bucks .
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
I take it back, the local hobby shop came through . Went there today and they got a resupply today, of all days on a Sunday too. The cost 12 bucks now if only the price of the new kits was not high .
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
Edmund,

Here in the states Pacific Coast Models always have the big bottles of Lifecolor thinner for $11.95 and the shipping is chump change. Fast shipping too.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
I have found that Lifecolor thins just fine with regular tap water
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
I was trying to use life color to paint figures, and I was attempting to blend the colors together, so I did not want to use just plain water , when the paint dries you had like a ring mark. I was able to minimize that an acrylic flow release made by Golden . For just regular applications water will work .
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 04:27 PM UTC
The ring marks or other marks in the paint are from all the crap that's in tap water. You should never use tap water to thin paint, and never EVER put tap water through your airbrush! Always use distilled water, available at any supermarket or Wal-Mart by the gallon. I've used distilled water to thin Vallejo and Lifecolor with perfect results.
Tap water contains chlorine, flouride, lime, rust, algae and minerals that will contaminate your paint. Worse, it will build up inside your airbrush and corrode all the internal passages until your cherished investment is good for nothing but a wall check.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 05:51 PM UTC
that's what I figured so use their thinner, it came out ok but got to learn how to paint with acrylics .
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 11:46 PM UTC
I just bought a big bottle for InternetHobbies.com, he also has a lot of the paint sets as well. Decent shipping.
 _GOTOTOP