_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Radio trucks in a group?
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 11:22 AM UTC
I've found myself with several different types of radio truck conversion sets for various German WWII trucks. I'm thinking about diorama ideas.....

...would there be any reality to having several radio trucks clustered in a single location working together? Anyone have any reference photo pointers?

Thanks!
Jake
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've found myself with several different types of radio truck conversion sets for various German WWII trucks. I'm thinking about diorama ideas.....

...would there be any reality to having several radio trucks clustered in a single location working together? Anyone have any reference photo pointers?

Thanks!
Jake

There could be a few in the same vicinity at once for a higher HQ. Depends on the time period. As the days of the blitzkrieg faded the German army had to be very aware of clusters of vehicles drawing heavy arty and air strike attacks. On the western front radios were used sparingly as the allies honed in on transmissions with direction finding equipment and it resulted in a firestorm of arty and then also air strikes so if a radio unit was used a telephone wire was run from a distant location from the radio unit to the commander.
So if you used your idea it would work in an early war setting.
J
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
I am not very knowledgeable about specific German electronic equipment. However, I seem to recall seeing a schematic drawing of a German VHF set-up which looked quite similar to the VHF vans used by Americans at air bases. The American SCR-573 was a radio van with a VHF transmitter. The SCR-574 was an identical van, but with a VHF receiver inside. These vans actually carried a scaffold-like platform so they could walk across the open door from one van to the other. The vans parked side-by side about six feet apart. These vans operated on the grounds of air-bases, and were used to transmit and receive voice communication between officers on the ground, and pilots in the sky. The SCR-575 VHF Direction Finder was often set up at some near distance. There were also SCR-299 panel vans and SCR-399 removable radio shelters in the vicinity for ground-to-ground communication, and emergency air-to-ground communication. Furthermore, radio jeeps with TCS gear, and back-pack TBX radios were used...sometimes TBY as well. All this stuff--AND THEN SOME--was associated with air base operations.

I hope you share your project with us here, Jake.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi Jake

I think you are safe enough with this. I have several images of radio trucks in convoy together, and also with them facing different directions with the back sides facing each other. E-mail me if you want copies of them.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:55 PM UTC
Just check out the first picture in this album :

http://fykse.dnsalias.com/bilder/utstyr/

Maybe you'll find some useful pics here :

http://fykse.dnsalias.com/bilder/album2/

... and there :

http://fykse.dnsalias.com/bilder/michael/

HTH

H.P.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 01:27 AM UTC
Nice links Frenchy. I especially like the images of the truck loads laid out for presentation. Very useful for anybody building a funk vehicle and wanting ideas for stowage.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC
Awesome links frenchie as usual! Thanks.
Those vehicles laid out for maintenence inspection brought back a lot of bad bad memories!
J
 _GOTOTOP