_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best Post World War II Tank?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
I was thinking, what tank was tops, or would have been tops immediately after WW2, just around the start of the Korean War? I know the US used M4A3E8s, M-24s and M-26/46 during Korean and that the North Koreans used T-34/85s, but what were some of the later Soviet tanks? How did the IS-2s compare? British Centurians?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
WHAT, You, ROB, "The Motor Pool God,'" asking a question. I wish I new the answer so I can brag that I answered a question you asked. LOL!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Rob---i am Sherman lover and think the Easy Eight was a top of the line tank. However, while realizing that it is not a post production WW II tank, my money is on the Panther. They serve with the French and various European forces until the mid to late 50's. They are well-built, tough vehicles.
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hey, I have some old stuff, but not as old as what I want to know about. I'm wondering about the early Cold War years, pre-Berlin Wall. Back when we, the Russians and the British produced the monster heavy tanks like the Conqueror and the M103. I don't know if France was producing tanks during this time, I think the AMX-30 came about along with the M60/Leopard/Chieftain.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
Sir--I shall drop and give you twenty-five to ammend for the error of my ways. Having said that, my sentimental favorite is the M-103. Impressive hunk of steel. I would have loved to see her fire. We use to roll the one we had at Knox out for the 4th off July parade. The Marine detachment took it as a matter of pride to tank her. It certainly looked like the king of the battlefield. I know not how she performed in the field.
DJ #:-)
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
The JS-II & JS-III were pretty bad-a** tanks. They packed one hell of a punch and had very strong armor as well. They would have been on par or maybe better than the M-26. Definately more than a match for the M4A3E8 and M-24. The JS-II could blow the turret off of a Tiger at long range while the Tiger's 88 rounds just bounced off the front. They also looked impressive and had some nice lines.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob---i am Sherman lover and think the Easy Eight was a top of the line tank. However, while realizing that it is not a post production WW II tank, my money is on the Panther. They serve with the French and various European forces until the mid to late 50's. They are well-built, tough vehicles.
DJ

I don't know that Panther had served with the French and other European forces, is there a web site for this? Will be interesting to build a Panther in French markings...
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 02:52 AM UTC
I would probably have to go with the "Patton" family, M46/47/48, The JS-series were big and mean, but were slow, not as manueverable. The M-26/46 bested the T-34/85 in every engagement in Korea. The Centurion was also another good contender. The M103, was a monster, but, if I recall correctly, it had same power train as the M48, so speed, manueverability and range were greatly reduced compared to M48. The M48 is still around, almost 50 years after it was first introduced, that should say something
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

I don't know that Panther had served with the French and other European forces, is there a web site for this? Will be interesting to build a Panther in French markings...

Dave--I would guess the French Armor School at Somua would have something. They took the Panthers as parts of the post WW II war reparations. They never deployed them outside Europe and I heard they never went outside the French zone of occupation. Someone else who is a Panther lover can confirm or shoot me down on this point. Regardless, it is a superb vehicle. We have one at Knox that looks like it can still pack a punch.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
I hand this one to the Brits The" Centurians "and a one Bad dude.

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/cent/cent1.html

My 2 cents worth.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
What about the Soviet T-55??

DAGGER-1
r19f
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 06:03 AM UTC
Without a doubt it has to be the centurain the first tank to tank action of the koreaian police action (cent 1 bad guys 0 ) also ti is still in service in one form or an other with one or two middel eastern states to date
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
I'd have to go with the Centurion as well . While it had yet to get its best main gun in the form of the L7 105mm, It could still dish it out and take it. Centurions are still in use in many countries while others like Israel have found secondary uses for them In the form of speialized APCs and repair vehicles. TO bad the Brits didn't put this kind of thinking into WW@ tanks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What about the Soviet T-55??

DAGGER-1

Dagger--if nothing else, the T-55 is certainly a cleverly constructed vehicle. Isn't the main gun an anti-tank weapon? What about the power train, bet it has T-34 derived designs to it. Did you build the Lindberg kit? I have it on the shelf and wanted to build it someday. If you built it what did you think of it?
thanks
DJ
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
The Pattons, until the M60A1 did not get good battlefield ratings. The Centurians kicked the M-48's around good in the Indian/Pak war, but tactics played a role in that one. The Panther and the Sherman were both undergunned, the Panther was mechanically unsound and the Sherman was too lightly armored. The Patton Series of tanks would be my pick... as they are still serving as MBT's all over the place, including Korea, Taiwan and Isreal. The Isreali's still use M-60 tanks with heavily modified turrets, with the Centurian in second place due to lack of sloped armor on the turret. The 105MM gun, was is quite a killer and the Centurian was probably the king of the battlefield until the M60A1 and A3 were fielded. If that is not a definite answer see the rest of my answer.

But, that being said, a well crewed and property deployed tank, supported by good fire support and infantry, will usually kill a tank crewed by untrained or badly trained/led soldiers or one badly deployed or unsupported. The Isreali's learned this and have set the standard for armored warfare as a result. They no longer deploy tanks unsupported by infantry and artillery. I know that my tank crews in Germany would have been my greatest asset, even with odds against me.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:46 AM UTC
Could some post a pic of the M103 ? or a site please.

ponysoldier
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
Here is a link. It was quite a beast, but like its bretheren, not practical.

http://www.battletanks.com/m103_heavy_t_.htm
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
DJ:
Hi; I built one T-55 back in the 84-85, I would be amiss if I told you exactly which Manufacturer kit it was. Because I really don't remember. I do recall that it was a pretty simple and straight forward build. Painted it in a flat black color over all. I remember it had the 105mm Main gun, Similar to the ones used by the Iraqi and early Soviet era Army. i.e. 1960's ?? I think.. Like I said it was a pretty long time ago. And as I said it was a pretty easy kit to build. But I am certain that, Were I to build it today I could Probably do a much better job. HEY at leasat it's final resting palce was in a show case in a local hobby shop in San-Angleo Texas, Prior to my moving to Dallas. in 89.

DAGGER-1 When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could some post a pic of the M103

Thats a cool looking tank. I never new about it. Probably mistook it for an M48 or M60 if I had seen it. Are there any kits for this guy, I wouldn't mind building it.
 _GOTOTOP