_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
88mm Flak on a panzer 2?
enfilladed
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
I had a Russian model kit for a panzer 2 - icm brand I think and 'somehow' the turret fell off of it and shattered *cough*
Anyways, I have an old tamiya 88mm flak kit lying around that i made when i was 11 (And it looks it...)
Suddenly, it hit me...if something as goofy as a lorraine schlepper can exist..
I've seen mention of in books of 'mark 2's' and 'mark3's ' with turrets on them that weren't meant to be mounted on that type of tank at all, and i can only imagine what some people came up in a combat situation with not much to work with..
So, do you think i could somehow make an 88mm look like it could somehow function on a pz2? (aus f i think) Or maybe mount anything else besides the original turret onto one?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
I seriously doubt if an 88mm would work I don't think the Panzer 2 would be able to take that kind of recoil as it was way to light However I say go for it I think it would be a very great what if kinf of vehicle #:-) (++)
enfilladed
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:47 PM UTC
I'm still fascinated by light tanks toting firepower they probably shouldn't,
Does anyone else know about any pz2 variants out there? I have quite a few tank books but none really hit upon anything about these vehicles.
I saw one being restored whilst in ait at Aberdeen and since then,...
BudOne
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
The PzII chassis was used for some of the early Panzerjagers mounting the captured Russian 76.2mm gun (Marder II)? Those looked way too big and top heavy for the tiny chassis but they worked as a stopgap until better machinery came along. The 88 would have been ever bigger and might have been just too much for the vehicle to carry, even before it was fired! It would make an interesting "what if" project and I suppose it's possible that someone, somewhere may have tried it.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
I've never seen a PZII mount an 88, but modified versions of it did mount the 75mm, 76.2mm and the 150mm Sig gun, so its possible there may have been one or two modified to carry an 88mm. Rommel had alot of unusual weapons in North Africa. They used to call them Rommel's Funnies. Good luck with your project.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP