1/72 Italeri/ESCI Panzer IV Interior
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of super-detailing four Panzer IV from Italeri to an Ausf. H.

I'm in currently drawing/designing/building the interior compartments and I recently finished the fighting compartment layout. (although a lot of details need be added still)

You can see where I'm at on my Picasaweb space.

I would like to ask if any of you guys already posses any scale drawings of any/all interior compartments you can share? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A small overview picture:

Thanks for anything you can contribute,
Cheers!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:32 AM UTC
Incredible work. One question: where did you get the PE no-slip plate from? I'm converting a pnzIV and I cannot find any on any website I could think of.
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the comment!

I think you mean the turret floor plate which is Plastruct 91687 Diamond plate scale HO. Still heaps to large in scale but I did not find any smaller scale pattern.

Cheers!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
Bert...very nice work....looking forward to seeing more!

Andras...
Check out LionRoar products...they make excellent PE
"Anti skid thread plate".
They come in many varieties from very fine to course texture and can be adapted to many scales.
Sets are labeled I to VII and are said to be in 1:35 scale but
some sets are so fine that they can be used for 1:48 to 1:144 scale builds.

Look up product LAM-014 as an example.

Cheers,
Joe
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:33 AM UTC
Vector Cuts makes incredibly fine laser-etched models. Look at these HO (1/87) scale donuts and hamburgers: http://www.vectorcut.com/accessoriesHO.htm

Question: what demand would braille scalers have for 1/72 or 1/76 no-slip / diamond plate interior components?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hi Bert,

Great idea and execution!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
Firstly, Bert, no I don't have such drawings, but I like the look of what you have done and are doing, and would like you to continue to show us progress.

My suggestion to you is that you do a search for Panzer IV interior and you will find plenty of photos of people doing 1/35 scale interiors, which you can simply copy at your scale - in a way it is probably easier than working from a technical drawing. There are plenty of photos of the Verlinden set in place in Tamiya kits.

Fred:

Quoted Text

Question: what demand would braille scalers have for 1/72 or 1/76 no-slip / diamond plate interior components?

There is a demand for it I am sure, and on another of my neglected build threads Jaymes Crowther (Newfish) helpfully pointed out that Slaters Plastikard make various patterns and scales of treadplate including single and double pattern in 1/50, 1/25, 1/100 and HO scales. I guess HO is the nearest to 1/72? £2.16 per sheet.
Jan Etal also pointed out this supplier in the USA:
MicroMark

This was helpful, although they told me this after I had already etched my own (he said, perhaps sounding smug, perhaps sounding a little stupid to have bothered... ).
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 07:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gathering reference photo's/books for some time now. I even contemplated buying some Verlinden/CMK interior kit to measure it out properly, but got deterred by the price and the inaccuracy of it all...

Still, working from photo's is a lot more involving than rescaling drawings. Rest assured I will not give up

I did not mention it earlier but I'm also making detailed drawings and measurements of all the pieces I make. Doing so, I can correct where necessary and prepare for mass production. (= future kits I'll make)
robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi Bert
You build nice interior and you have good scratching skills. But you choosed one of the worsest Pz4 Kit on the market for starting point. The vehicle is to long and distance between fender and return rollers is to big. Therefor the plate with brake access hatches is to steepy and fender shape wrong.The cupola is also not the nicest. Which modifications do you plan for the suspension? You have to find many compromisses to adjust interior to the wrong shape of kit. I would recommend to use your nice parts with Revell or Dragon Pz4.If not i guess I can give you some add. advices for details with e-mail.
About Pics.
Do you heard from closed site. AFV-interiors? I saved from there some PZ4 pics. If you are interested then send me your e-mail adress.
Regards from Vienna
Robert
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thanks for your input Robert, I'm well aware of the ESCI inaccuracies in this kit. I have the Dragon Panzer IV F2 beside me as reference. I made sure that all components made will fit inside other brands also, with minor adjustments.

For example, the Dragon kit uses thicker plastic sheets for the lower hull. This means the interior space is 1mm smaller in width. I can easily compensate for that kind of deviations using my drawings. (the length is less of a problem as I do not intend to build the engine compartment)

Anyway, some small progress :

See my Picasaweb album for more update pictures.

Thanks for commenting/looking and enjoy!
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hi guys, finally an update

Not much done, it's some kind of heat wave over here, so too warm to work indoors!

Anyway, I finished tooling up the hull and started work in the drivers compartment. I also made the commanders seat and finished gluing the left track.

As far as details go, I honestly do believe ESCI doesn't bother at all! It's like mostly PE on there...

Enjoy the pictures

Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 02:13 PM UTC
Just catching up on this thread, WOW! Really nice work BloodEyes! I always get fired up seeing the added detail going into these braille kits! Fantastic! Will be watching this to the finish!
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 09:10 PM UTC
Bert, Very nice work. I would like to ask a question if I may. Where did you get, or did you make, your tools and clamps? Thanks, Jeff T.
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Jeff, thanks!

I used the Eduard PE set 22026. It came quite cheap at around €3. The white rods used are from Evergreen and I'm starting to amass a collection of those... (still not enough though)

You can find more brand references used in the picture comments on my Picasaweb album.

Hope that helps?
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi all,

It's been a while, but I do have been busy I thought to myself that wilst I was busy with one Panzer IV, I could just as well start constructing the other 5. Now evidently that chunk turned out a bit too big... Anyway, I managed some progress the last week and here we are

I did manage to correct a few mistakes and add more details along the way :
- improved exhaust with correct supports.
- improved turret storage bins now with spacing between turret and bin.
- made all turret floor details. (not exact as it was, but still enough)
- shortened the RB Model barrels to corectly size up to the L/43 version, filed a ring off the muzzle-break to match my references.
- remade the spare wheel storage boxes.
- made Bosh headlights, I could no longer look upon the ESCI stomps...
- finally found a way to make the antenna!
- ... and the rest of the works

Feel free to browse around my Picasaweb Album for the bigger pictures and additional comments on each.

Some photo's :

An overview of the Tank Assembly Line :

Some ready made components :

Thanks for looking!
robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi Bert
Nice assembly line with nice details on a crude base kit.
Now tell us in detail how you made the antennas. I need a lot of them for my projects.
BTW 7,5 L/48 is also correct for your late Pz4G.

Regards Robert
BloodEyes
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reaction. I need some Panzer IV Ausf G with L/43 for my wargaming needs. (Battlegroup Kursk rules)

I own several kits of the Revell Panzer IV Ausf H for that L/48 cannon

I made a little drawing to show you how I went about creating that antenna :

Enjoy!
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:33 PM UTC
Bert, I noticed Aber as 2 meter antenna's but, I don't know if they would work for your Pz IV's thought
Charlie
 _GOTOTOP