_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
BT-5 Spanish Civil War
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
I’ve finally made some time to post some photos of my first couple of armor models since getting back into the hobby early in 2012 after a 8+ year hiatus. This is my first completed armor model since sometime in the early 1990s, as I've mainly been building aircraft and sci-fi.

I specifically wanted to post my first couple of projects as a follow up to the forum posting I made HERE regarding my first failed attempt at getting a tank model finished.

I would really to thank everyone who helped me “see the light” as to the way armor models are painted and weathered these days, as opposed to the ‘90s when I was heavily into the hobby. I’d really like to thank Mike Rinaldi for taking the time in that posting to explain his methods and helping the light bulb flicker on for me in regards to how some of the techniques I’ve used over the decades just don’t cut it anymore for armor.

Anyway, on with the show…

My first completed tank model is the Zvedza 1/35 BT-5. It was a dog of a kit to start with, but I got the kit for less than $10 and based on that thought it would be a better starting point than one of the $30+ Trumpeter or Dragon kits in my stash.

The model is built mostly OOB with the exception of adding an Eduard photoetch ed detail set. I also scratchbuilt engine louvers to fill the empty space that was presented once the Eduard engine grille was in place. I also replaced the nasty, solid plastic kit headlight lenses with some old MV Lenses O scale headlight lenses that I’ve had kicking around for 20 years or so. I also made a tail light out of “something” from my spares box and another MV Lens based on photos I found on the Interwebs. I also drilled out the barrel for the main gun.

One thing I can say about this kit is that test fitting is very important. I had never built a tank where I had to assemble the walls of the hull, so it was a but daunting at first. I was really worried about how I was going to fill gaps without losing surrounding rivets, but I solved that by using multiple applications of Gunze Mr. Surfacer. It was perfect! I filled the gaps with several applications of Mr. Surfacer applied with a toothpick. After it had dried (this stuff dries very quickly for such thick paint) I dipped a cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol and wiped away the access. The result: a perfectly filled seam with absolutely NO sanding. I’ve used this method on filling wing root gaps on aircraft models, and it worked perfectly here.

I painted the tank to represent a Spanish Civil War BT-5 captured by Nationalist forces after the battle of Fuentes de Ebro in 1937. I used the book Spanish Civil War Tanks by Steve Zaloga for my primary reference. It’s a must have for anyone interested in Spanish Civil Wa armor.

I apologize for the less-than-stellar photos. I haven’t had the time nor energy to set up my light kit and tripod, so some point-and-shoot desktop pics are all I have at present. I will be making a vignette base for the model, so will likely take “real” photos when that is finished.

Thanks for looking!

ropeynz
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 03:41 AM UTC
An excellent outcome. I think you should be very happy with the way it has come out using Mike's suggestions.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Very nice BT-5. The paintint and weathering are very nice. The front wheel on the right side is up-side-down. The straight part of the hub should always be up.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the info....you probably saved me some embarrassment down the road.

I had just assumed that was a hub cover that turned with the rest of the wheel, but looking at my references again I now see it must have been an actual end cap for the axle. Interesting. I've turned them round properly. Nice catch....thanks again!
MajorPete
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC
Nice work. The eduard set really makes the kit
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:38 PM UTC
This is right up my line of interest, nice job! I have two of these sitting around, one to just mess around with and the other to do a nicer detail job like you did here. I may have a chance to get back to them soon, hopefully this fall. I hear you on test fitting the hull pieces. I assembled the hull of their BT-7 and was quite relieved at how well it fit, but I did lose some rivet detail when I started because the Tamiya liquid cement was too thin and flowed right through the cracks while it was setting. These kits are actually pretty nice for what they are, and they respond well to detail up parts.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy-

Yeah, as daunting as this kit seemed at first, once I got into it it really wasn't that bad. I'd do another one someday if I could get it for the great price I got this one for. I was really amazed as how well the Eduard set dressed this thing up. But, it wasn't hard to do better than the loaf of bread Zvezda has for the engine grille.

I've also got two other Spanish Civil War tanks planned, a T-26 and Panzer I. Have the kits, just have to get around to building them...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:26 PM UTC
I would be happy to run a group build on the Spanish Civil War, I've held off on proposing one because I didn't feel that there was enough interest in it. It's a great period for focusing on earlier German and Russian armor, as well as earlier German aircraft.
 _GOTOTOP