Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for a Searchlight
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
It's the one out of the Dragon M46 kit. Would anyone have one of these unbuilt in their spares box that they would like to sell or trade for?
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
somebody mentioned legend has an upgrade kit. this is an m48 patton tank is it not ?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

somebody mentioned legend has an upgrade kit. this is an m48 patton tank is it not ?

No, the M46 light was different. It was an 18" round light called the "Crouse-Hinds model 44676-C" searchlight.

Unfortunately, there is no AM for them...yet!
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM UTC
That's the one I'm looking for. It was fitted on the M46, M47 and M48A1 (sometimes the A2. Found a thread either here or on ML that the Dragon M46 had the correct one.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 05:59 PM UTC
Wish I had one, Bob --- I'd be dropping it in the mail ta you.

Fingers crossed somebody comes up with one.

Thanks for the hustle on this particular item, Bob!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 12:21 AM UTC
Well, if I'm going to do one type, might as well knock them all out at once. They're not hard to do once the basic parts are in front of me and the old OCD kicks-in! Sooner or later one will pop up somewhere.
jwest21
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:14 AM UTC
Are you using these to make a resin master? I have an M46 that won't be built anytime soon.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
It's also used on a Korean War Centurion that I have Accurate Armour decals for. I tried a few years ago to get the same searchlight without success.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:46 AM UTC
I dunno if this is the one you after....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DML-M46-Patton-1-35th-scale-/130947221820?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1e7d10093c

Paul
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch for all the responses. I am now covered as far as the searchlights go. I have (or will have) all three main types for the Patton series available soon!
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 02:44 PM UTC
That's awesome, Bob!! I'm in for at least one Crouse-Hinds, hopefully a few!!

Hey, I've got another conversion suggestion: have you considered doing the the blade and all of the other hardware to convert the AFV Club LVTP-5 to and LVTE engineer vehicle...the "potato digger" as seen in "The Boys in Company C" and "Apocalypse Now"...?

Always surprised that AFV Club or some other AM company never released this variant or a conversion kit... Been something I've wanted for years now!!

I know that other modelers have mentioned wanting a conversion for engineer amtrac over the years, but could not say if the demand was worthy of your time and effort...

Anyway, just an idea --- thanks again, Bob!

Keep 'em coming!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's awesome, Bob!! I'm in for at least one Crouse-Hinds, hopefully a few!!

Hey, I've got another conversion suggestion: have you considered doing the the blade and all of the other hardware to convert the AFV Club LVTP-5 to and LVTE engineer vehicle...the "potato digger" as seen in "The Boys in Company C" and "Apocalypse Now"...?

Always surprised that AFV Club or some other AM company never released this variant or a conversion kit... Been something I've wanted for years now!!

I know that other modelers have mentioned wanting a conversion for engineer amtrac over the years, but could not say if the demand was worthy of your time and effort...

Anyway, just an idea --- thanks again, Bob!

Keep 'em coming!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

Howdy Johnny, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
Potato Digger eh? Looks like a cool piece of equipment for a down the road project. Tried doing some online research on it and there's just not enough available info on it. Of course, who knows what the future will bring? The Crouse Hinds is on my bench and not quite done yet.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 03:42 PM UTC
Heya, Bob,

Good deal --- great to know that there's at least a chance we might see this conversion one day!!

Dunno if I can track one down, but if I can I'll see if I can find a tech manual or something similar on the LVTE in the future.

LF to the Crouse-Hinds searchlight and the rest of the Vietnam War line in the hopper.

Thanks, Bob --- have a good one!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:30 PM UTC
I'm stoked about these lights. Just out of curiosity, will it be easy to add LED or fiber optic lighting to them?
BigDaddybluesman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 05:35 PM UTC
I have a resin one I found in an old M67 flame conversion kit for the M48A3. I bought another kit and it was not there in that one. I had a guy that was supposed to make some, he flaked. This is another little thing that nobody wants to make yet so many would buy.

There are in some OOP M46 tanks, I think it is Dragon. And the Accurate armor kits too. Very expensive just for the light.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Well, the Crouse-Hinds (and the others) will be hollow cast so it will be possible to add an LED if you so desire. The shutters on the front will be a separate section/part. All will include a section of clear acetate to make the glass on the fronts. The price of each will be very affordable for everyone.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
note:
I've seen that search light mounted on jeeps, 3/4 ton M37's and even a few guard posts around air bases. There are photos one more than one M48a3 with that same light. Somebody must have had a warehouse full of spare units gathering dust! Never paid a lot of attention to them, let alone how they were hooked up electrically.
gary
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 07:13 AM UTC
Well guys, not too much longer for the Crouse-Hinds. The molds for it are curing right today. I'll make some test shots on Monday to see how they turned out.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
Awesome, really looking forward to seeing them Bob
 _GOTOTOP