_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Masking
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC
Going to make a start on painting my tiger #100 in its winter camouflage soon,but not sure what to use for making.
I could use blu-tac but some of the grey camouflage has sharp lines on the left hull side and blu-tac would be no good.

I could use a combo of tac and masking tape.
Any other ideas anyone can think of?

Karl
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
Silly Putty rolled into long spirals or anything like that, give a soft edge.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC
Try parafilm. Why don't you want to use masking tape? I frequently use blue painter's tape, for hard edge camo. For soft edge, I use Badger's Sotar with the fine tip.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Silly Putty rolled into long spirals or anything like that, give a soft edge.

I was thinking of silly putty but not sure if it leaves an oily residue

Quoted Text

Why don't you want to use masking tape

Matt I may have to use masking tape,but some of the camo has a softer edge so I will need to add something else as well as masking tape.

Thanks
Karl
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
an airbrush with a .2 mm nozzle ?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

an airbrush with a .2 mm nozzle ?

.15, I believe. I hold it very close to the model and run it under low pressure.
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:46 PM UTC
Never done soft camo but personally I would mark with blue tack, spray, wait for it to dry then go over the line nice and slowly with airbrush, atleast that way you have a line to follow. Up until a few days ago I didnt have a airbrush so I may be way wrong, its just how I would work around this.

Bronzey
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:57 PM UTC
Shoot the soft edge camo free hand. Just dial down the pressure to 5-10 PSI, thin the paint, and shoot CLOSE. If you have more airbrush experience, you can loosen up these conditions.
You CAN use Blu-Tac for hard edge camo. Shoot the color that will be the hard edge camo area. Roll the Blu-Tac thin and cover the area to remain that color with the Blu-Tac and secure the edges. Shoot the surrounding colors at an angle toward the blu-Tac'd area edges in order to get a sharp line (covering them with Blu-Tac if needed afterward for sharp edges). Don't remove any of the Blu-Tac until you are done with all the hard edge camo. Then pull it all up and you're all set. Multi color hard edge camo.
Do not use Silly Putty. Use Blu-Tac or the cheap equivalent available in the dollar store. Silly putty begins to creep the moment you put it on and cannot be trusted. If it contacts screens, intakes, or PE, the part is going in the trash bin.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
Oh yeah, a really easy and oustanding looking way to do soft edge camo - buy a pack of 3x5 index cards, cut them to the camo shape you want, spray the color you want that shape to be, then stick the card to the area with a few dots of Blu-Tac so that the card is 1 - 3mm above the model surface. Then spray surrounding colors and you get nice soft clean edges. I call this and the poster putty method "subtractive masking" and it's a LOT easier than surrounding areas with tape, shooting, and doing it over again.
 _GOTOTOP