_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Defender XD ‘Wolf’ W.M.I.K
Isherman
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Darren Baker takes an in depth look at the HobbyBoss Defender XD ''Wolf'' W.M.I.K kit

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Nice review, thanks!

The biggest flaw of the kit is that the frame structure at the rear is a few mms too tall. The model doesn't look quite right because of it... But it is hard to notice this kind of error in this kind of review.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thank you Pawel I believe I highlighted most of the errors in the kit that could be identified in an unbuilt model. Quite how they made the mistake with the SA80 storage I will never know.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
The errors crept into the Hobby Boss kit as they followed a number of photographs in the Combat Land Rovers Portfolio. The book featured an Italian SOV based on a '90 with the seat on the same side as the kit, along with a higher roll cage. The very early trial vehicle also had the personal weapons vertically on the upper roll bar. This vehicle was also used as the RSOV demonstrator.

Overall Hobby Boss should be congratulated for a best effort but a number of the aftermarket vendors used the kit antenna base to size their replacements, the supplied item is too small. There are few missing items but nothing that cannot be corrected without a bit of modelling.

Brian
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Brian I do like the model and I agree that most of the short comings can be corrected without too much effort, however the wheels while replicating an accurate rim are not the most pleasing and the tyres I plain do not like. The Black dog set has a nicer set of rims in resin and can be bought in the UK at least with all the other goodies for the same price as a set of wheels only from AA.
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi Darren, if you look at the Accurate Armour conversions the modeller can build all four WMiK variants for around £220! Now I realise that this is a lot of cash but in real terms I wonder how much bench time that would represent? I'm not a rep for Accurate Armour but just looking at the whole picture.

I really would love to see the older Defender that is still kicking around. With a lot of work you can rebuild the Hobby Boss kit into an early version.

I think that Hobby Boss should be congratulated for their release I just hope it is one of many. Like you I can live with the flaws as they are easy to correct, the kit is cheap enough. It is an good 'first model' and for the younger modeller looks like the ones on TV and for the rivet counters is a grand base to work with.

Brian
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 10:47 AM UTC
Brian I should clarify the Black dog set can be bought for about the same price as a set off AA wheels for the Wolf. When it comes to complete models I have no issues with AA prices it was just an observation. The full Conversions that AA do are appealing and a reasonable price.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:41 PM UTC
About the SKP lights set, I generally love those sets, however the Land Rover set isn't that great as the rear lights (the red and orange ones) lack the 3D effect of the real vehicle.

I got a pretty good effect (I think) using the kit supplied clear lights and "vitrail" red and orange paints from Pebeo. Vitrail means "stained glasss" in French.

Cheers,

Christophe
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:18 PM UTC
I believe the WMIK also had a standing platform for firing the Machine gun/grenade launcher. If you put a figure in there he cant fire the weapon as he is too low down. The demo version which the Hobbyboss model is based on didn't have the folding stand as it was a demonstrator. I built this kit 6 months back and added etch for the SA80 racks behind the seats, I thought it was a great kit, so I got the RSOV whilst at a show a few weeks back.

Pete
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Only the R-WMIKs with the rebuilt armoured floor seem to have the raised gunner's platform.

The earlier version depicted in the HB kit wouldn't have one.

Regards,
John
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 02:36 AM UTC
Thank you for all of the information guys and of course dropping in.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Is this vehicle still in British SOF service now with the Jackal and Coyote in service for SOF? Or has this vehicle been entirely replaced by the later two? If replaced, how far in years could the Land Rover Defender XD "Wolf" W.M.I.K. go up to (2008, 2009, 2010?). Thanks.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC
Peter I was looking at one earlier this month that was in service, I cannot however tell you if they are still in Afghanistan. I believe that they would be but confined to compound patrols rather than in the field, that is best guess though.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian I do like the model and I agree that most of the short comings can be corrected without too much effort, however the wheels while replicating an accurate rim are not the most pleasing and the tyres I plain do not like. The Black dog set has a nicer set of rims in resin and can be bought in the UK at least with all the other goodies for the same price as a set of wheels only from AA.

Legend makes two different styles of replacement wheels for this kit.
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi Darren, to be fair I haven't looked a the cost of the Blackdog set, they too missed the TUAAM as an opportunity to offer an alternative. All in all a welcome release from Blackdog.

Regarding SF use, the SAS never used the WMIK as per the Hobby Boss release, the SAS used the older Desert Patrol Vehicle, as kitted by Accurate Armour, based on a pick-up chassis rather than the 110 Land Rover, with their own modifications. The SBS did use the WMIK, the SAS moved over the early Jackal (Menacity) and still operate this vehicle. The DPV was still known as the Pinkie by members of the Regiment last served on Op Trent in Afghanistan they retired after a long career. One is now the gate guardian at the camp.

The British government remains tight lipped about all aspects of SF operations so guaranteed information is quite hard to come by. SF troops as a rule don't normally take happy snaps of vehicles as they are just too busy. Information does leak out usually from other media outlet, but the UKSF community remains tight lipped for a reason.

Hi Rob, yes I've seen the Legend rims and you sometimes see both types of rims on one vehicle. They also appear on the Wildcat Rally 4x4.
CRosenwould
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice review, thanks!

The biggest flaw of the kit is that the frame structure at the rear is a few mms too tall. The model doesn't look quite right because of it... But it is hard to notice this kind of error in this kind of review.

Sorry to dredge this one up but how many mms too tall is the cage? I'm just about to start building mine (as an RAF Regiment vehicle).

Regards,

Colin

http://rhylscalemodellingclub.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rhyl-Scale-Modelling-Club/516021691848354?fref=ts
 _GOTOTOP