_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
Japanese Army Infantry
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:32 AM UTC
Dragon recently released a set of Japanese Army Infantry at Peleliu. Here is a look at what is in the box.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC
Looking at this figure set the feet are what throws everything out looking to be neither left or right.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Nice review. With the poor selection of Japanese infantry figures out there its a shame we got this mediocre effort.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 10:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the review, Russ. What a bummer, I really liked the unusual poses! I'm working on a Type 2 Ka-Mi (with pontoons) and was looking forward to having some troops to put around it. I guess this isn't the set...
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 01:16 PM UTC
Darren, thank you again, and thanks all for the comments. I was excited to see the footgear, until I saw that the toe was divided more in half than at the big toe section. I really wonder what was up when this was molded.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Darren, thank you again, and thanks all for the comments. I was excited to see the footgear, until I saw that the toe was divided more in half than at the big toe section. I really wonder what was up when this was molded.

Hi, All! I was waiting for a comprehensive review of this new DRAGON Japanese Infantry Set. Reading this review has answered my questions... What seemed at first to be crack in DRAGON's monolithic subject matter, turns out to be a big disappointment for us modellers who like to build things other than, or besides WWII German. I hate to say, "I told you so", but...

I may just buy this Japanese "Peleliu" Infantry Set anyway, just to see if it's salvageable- but then, maybe not... I HAD planned on doing a "mini-vignette" with this set, posed alongside one of my Type 95 "HA-GO" tanks. No big loss...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hmmmmm.... another giant step backwards for the Dragon!
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:59 PM UTC
As per usual Dragon have failed to deliver...a subject no-one else really does and with the amount of Jap armour they've been releasing we could have expected something with a bit of dynamism in there. No, an officer pointing. Oh hang sorry they gave him a pistol to point where they're going. A rifleman in a really weird unnatural pose. The MG team may be useful somewhere. Their first set of Japs was a lot better than these so why not re-release them. Load of crap as far as I'm concerned hence I've not bought any of their new releases for years. Masterbox are miles better both posewise and detail wise. Dragon are yesterdays figure manufacturer.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
When Dragon makes something good, it's great. But then they turn around and make great mistakes. Maybe if they slowed down their production schedule and spent more time planning and researching each release, they could get it right the first time. I'm starting to acquire more respect for Bronco. Even their figures are pretty good.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
This kit was announced quite a while ago. Then it sat and sat. I wonder if it was finally subcontracted out to get it done.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This kit was announced quite a while ago. Then it sat and sat. I wonder if it was finally subcontracted out to get it done.

Hi, All! Russ, thanks for the review, which I should have mentioned in my previous post. I don't think DRAGON sub-contracted these figures- costs too much money that way. I'm thinking that they probably said "To Hell with it- Ship 'em! 'em, if they (meaning us) can't take a joke!"

Sad, really- Some of their stuff is top notch, and then... *

Oh well, maybe we'll get some additional (and better!) Japanese Infantry kits from MASTER BOX, MINIART, or maybe even BRONCO...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC
Masterbox already make two sets which include Japanese inf. They're probably better than Dragon's. Hope they make further sets. MiniArt has a set of Japanese tank crews coming, at some point.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Masterbox already make two sets which include Japanese inf. They're probably better than Dragon's. Hope they make further sets. MiniArt has a set of Japanese tank crews coming, at some point.

Hi, All! I have several of each of the TAMIYA, FINEMOLDS, VERLINDEN, and MASTER BOX Japanese Figure Sets, along with DRAGON's "Iwo Jima" set.

The two MASTER BOX sets, one of which also comes with a couple of USMC figures, are GREAT, as is their other USMC set. They also produce some GREAT US Infantry & Para sets centered around the "Normandy/D-day" genre. But as with mostly all plastic figure sets, they benefit with the use of HORNET's beautifully done resin heads.

I just wish that HORNET would release additional "Asian" and "African" head sets, along with some more Female heads with "1930s/40s hair-styles". We could also use some additional WWII US ARMY and USMC heads from HORNET. It's too bad that WARRIORS didn't/doesn't make or re-release more of their excellent US Head sets... I wonder what ever happened to the molds for those..?

I know that SQUADRON took over some of the WARRIORS figure line, but I don't see anywhere near the variety of figures that WARRIORS used to produce. Can anyone shed some light on that..?

I never did get the WARRIORS "Banzai" Charging Infantry set, which would have made a nice addition to the other Japanese Infantry sets. This set does appear on EvilBay once in a while; next time they do, "Old M4A1Sherman" is going to buy a set, even though I generally don't do dios.

Though DRAGON had a good idea in doing the "Peleliu" set, it's a pity that this set is just not up to par with their "Gen 2" figure sets...
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 01:34 PM UTC
so its a let down . not up to the dragon standards ?
 _GOTOTOP