_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Questions about Future acrylic floor wax
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:01 PM UTC
Ok,when it comes to weathering I always hear that modeler's use future as a acrylic gloss. So I would like to know,normally I use model master clear gloss and would like to know what's the deal with using future is it better than the spay can method? Reason why I ask is that I've never tried the future method and I'm a little apprehensive on doing this. What happens if the future doesn't dry what then,your model is ruin. I would like to know all the pros and cons about the future technique before I even attempt this,but will continue to use the model master spray can method.
weldingrod
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC
Cost,future is very cheap compaired to model clear coats
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC
I have used Future, gloss enamel and gloss lacquer. I find that I prefer the spray can(lacquer) over Future and enamel. You only need one pass, with the spray can. With Future, you have to build up layers. The same goes for enamel. Also, you don't have to strip your airbrush afterwards. The drawbacks are, lacquer requires 72 hours minimum to cure and it is advisable that you spray outside. You can handle the model, after a few hours no matter which medium you use. Just mho.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hi Jody,

Here is a link to an extensive article on the use of Future
for modelers.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Cheers,
Joe
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hello Jody,

I use Future gloss on all my models. Its called Pledge with Future Shine. I spray 2 coats and i get a nice, smooth finish every time...straight out tha bottle...no thinning. It also dries pretty qwik to the point i can handle and even start pin washes and the like. I do however let it dry at least a day before Decals are applied. Ive even used a brush and gloss small parts and areas and use as clear for periscope glass, Gauges glass and other various uses. I have been working out of the same bottle for 3 years now and still have a little less than a 1/4 of the bottle left. Now thats value right there! to clean the AB, I use Windex to flush out the Future, then distilled water to flush the Windex and dry. Then a final flush with Lacquer thinner and im done. Hope that helps....Good luck!

Gary
 _GOTOTOP