_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
simulating puddles of water?
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Any help? Need to make some mud puddles. I heard that painting alum. foil is one way.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
Sladog,
Woodland Scenics has a product that has been out just for a while now. It's called Realistic Water. The good thing about this product, unlike there other water product where you had to heat it, is thet this prudct is pourablle and dries by air. You dont have to heat it to pour it. The only bad thing is that it takes at least 24 hours to dry. It looks great when its dry and its paintable. Through some junk in it and it looks like stuf is floating around it.
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
One I read somewhere that might work for you is to use Future Floor Wax. In small quantities it dries hard and looks like water.

Don Busack
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
For a puddle size (2-3mm maybe up to 10mm) you can try two part epoxy. It drys clear and hard.
Paint the base your bottom color (brown for earth/mud) add any texture, gravel, litter (whatever you want for the base). Mix and pour the epoxy. You can also add a touch of color to the epoxy while you mix it so you get uniform color. Use a thin wash to get a bit of light to show through.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
Another option is Fiberglass resin. Its two part and mixes up pretty easy. It can be poured up to about 1/4 thick if needed. You can find it in the auto body repair area at auto parts stores or Wal-Mart. Be careful though, it does react with some paints and can get a little hot if too much hardner is added. I have never had it melt a model though. I used it for the water on my crashed Huey dio. You can also tint it with paint before you pour it for coloring. Another option for larger areas of calm water, you can use glass. It also allows you to see below the waterline. I used this method for a SEALs in Desert Storm dio.
Hope these help.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
I agree with Epi, Realistic water from woodland scenics is the easiest way possible. Just remember to build a dam to keep it in one place because it pours like water and will run all over the place if not contained. I used it to make the creek below :-)

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
Nice work there waterboy !! I believe that a 2 part floor enamel will do just fine , i ve worked with it and is ok , it also has the catalyt that is used to control how fast will dry .Also have dealed with transparent silicone of different kinds and is ok if you paint good and use some gloss enamel .
 _GOTOTOP