_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Thinning Paint for Airbrushing
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 06:33 AM UTC
Many apologies as I know this question gets asked so many times.

But I'm asking it all the same because I have researched and found so many different answers.

This will be my first encounter into airbrushing - mostly using a Paasche H single action, suction airbrush. I have all three tips and for the want of any practical experience will be using the middle one.

I shall be mostly using Tamiya Acrylics although I do also have a small amount of Vallejo Model Air.

Seen lost of advice with Tamiya but they range from 1:1, 3:1, milk consistency (would that be full fat, semi-skimmed or skimmed?)to 8:1 (the last is from the Mig Productions FAQ Book).

So given my airbrush and my complete lack of experience what would be a good starter for Tamiya?

And would it be different for Vallejo Model Air?

Cheers,

Nigel
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
if you can, get a double action top feed airbrush, don't have to get an iwata or something like that, you can go on E bay and get a decent functioning airbrush from 18 to 25 bucks free shipping also. The h series is okay but some of the paints are very thin and you might lose prime, paint will leak back into the bottle. Plus with the double action you have some control on how wide the paint spray is .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
I thin Tamiya acryls(they aren't true acrylics), with Tamiya's acryl thinner. I mix it 1:1, for basic coverage. You may want to mix a little rich(for smaller areas) or a little lean(for adding filters and washes. I agree, with Edmund. There are plenty of cheap, dual-action airbrushes out there. This will greatly affect the control you have over over the paint. There are some that are die-hard single-action airbrush promoters. They most likely learned on a single-action airbrush and have mastered its use. I just prefer the dual-action style.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
I've been using pretty much a 50-50 mix for years now.As Matt said,for Tamiya,I learned a long time ago to just use their thinner.Nothing you read will work better for their paint.A dual action is a much better idea,a little more $ but well worth it.To clean,I just add some Windex till the paint is gone and put a little distilled water through it.Having to take it apart to clean is far and few between.

Tom
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the info.

I do have a dual action gravity feed (ebay no-name) aswell. Just thought I'd start off with the single action to do the big areas and assumed it would be easier for my first attempts.

Cheers,

Nigel
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 10:15 AM UTC
I second the 1:1 ratio as a good starting point, as well as the advice to get a gravity feed double action brush like the Iwata HP-C or even a clone.

There is no fixed rule, since every jar of paint is a different viscosity, and some colours behave differently.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hey I love my H I use it for all the bigger jobs ...Base coats,etc and it is just a great easy brush to use ...Many times I don't even bother with my double action ..I can do 95% of what I need to do with it.
I use Tamiya's Lacquer thinner at about 70% thinner to 30% paint but that's where I start and then play around adding more paint and thinner as I go (lightening up the colors)...Nothing is really measured out ..but hey it works!
I do love my Tamiya SF but I keep it for special jobs..Depends how I feel....

have fun

Rick
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 10:56 AM UTC
Nigel

I've used Tamiya acrylics for many years and am currently on about my fourth airbrush, which is a double action Paasche. Previously I used Tamiya thinner for acrylics, but of late have been using lacquer thinner (with the yellow cap). I don.t use any particular ratio, just top up a new bottle of paint until it's a bit thinner.

It may be my imagination, 'cos I'm a lazy sod who doesn't clean his airbrush as often as he should, but it would appear that with the lacquer thinner the airbrush doesn't need nearly as much cleaning - just a quick blast through with a couple of cups of thinner.

Regards

Rob
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 02:56 PM UTC
you should at a minimum pull out the needle and wipe with a Qtip soaked in lacquer or the paints thinner .
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hello Nigel,

I use Tamiya exclusively. IMHO & experience with it, Tamiya's own brand of Lacquer Thinner with the yellow cap works much better than the X20-A thinner. I get much more atomization, control and coverage and a smoother surface without any pebbling what so ever. I do get Pebbling with X-20A. When ive been in a pinch for thinner and im out of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, ive used Klean-Strip Lacquer thinner with awesome results....just more smelly! As far as mixture, im a sight & feel kinda guy. I never measure, but if i had to give advise on it id say Mig's described mixture would be close. I shoot on the thin side of things. In my personal experience, i just cant get the finish i desire with a 50/50 mix....just too thick for my taste. Anyhoo....i hope that helps a little. Dont know anything about your type Airbrush so i cant comment on that. I use 2 Iwata's but like the Gentlemen said above, there are some fine low cost double action AB's out there that i think would serve you much better. Good luck man!
Steel_Spektor
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 09:54 PM UTC
When I first got my AB I tried using tap water to thin Tamiya acrylics but I ended up with random spurts of water over the model. Then I tried Tamiya's own thinner and it works well. I don't measure, just add a few drops and see how it looks.

To clean I half-fill the cup with Windex and spray. Then remove the needle, clean and another shot of Windex and she's done. Works for me.
 _GOTOTOP