_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Acrylic Paint Painting
WhiteCloud
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 10:52 AM UTC
i have tamiya acrylic paint and i tried hand brushing with it and it dries faster than i can put it down. i have read that retarder and flow enhancer should be used, where do i get it and what type do i need for tamiya acrylic.

i bought alot of tamiya and really don't want to buy more without using it first (funds limited) and i want to use it for hand painting.

any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks in advance!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi G,
Tamiya make their own brand retarder for use with their
acrylic paint. It help enormously to use this product for hand brushing the acrylics.

Cheers,
Joe
WhiteCloud
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 11:36 AM UTC
cool thanks!

one more question, where do i buy it? i took a quick look around and couldnt find it
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 12:08 PM UTC
Try EBay or luckymodel, here http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2087114 ; or Hobbyeasy, here http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/46086.html
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 08:19 PM UTC
WhiteCloud,I highly recommend two products made by Liquitex. Flow-aid and Slo-dri. They work well with both Tamiya and Vallejo. If you have a craft or artists supply store near you they should have both products, or be able to get them for you. Jeff T.
WhiteCloud
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 02:33 PM UTC
thanks for the advice, i was able to get the liquitex slo-dri blending formula

i'm hoping to try it tomorrow, any advice on how much to put into the tamiya bottle?
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for the advice, i was able to get the liquitex slo-dri blending formula

i'm hoping to try it tomorrow, any advice on how much to put into the tamiya bottle?

Noooo!
Get some 35mm film canisters, or similar seal-able containers, stir the Tamiya paint thoroughly, TRANSFER some to the container, & ADD some liquitex to it.

If you add it to the paint, you will extend the 'working time' (good), but you risk reducing the 'store-able time' as it can go off.
This also allows for any incompatibilities between paint brands. as mixing the wrong stuff together will curdle it, turning it into a jelly like mess.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC
Jon is correct. I take it one step further. I usually mix my paint as I use it, and I find that four to five thin coats work better than one or two thicker ones. What are you thinning your paint with, and what are you painting? Small parts or large surfaces? Jeff T.
WhiteCloud
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon is correct. I take it one step further. I usually mix my paint as I use it, and I find that four to five thin coats work better than one or two thicker ones. What are you thinning your paint with, and what are you painting? Small parts or large surfaces? Jeff T.

ok, i just learned something! (can you tell i havent painted many models )

i am painting both small and large areas, i build tanks, ships and planes, usually never paint them, so i don't now anything about thinning.....heck, i don't know anything about painting to be honest.
 _GOTOTOP