_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Char B1 flammpanzer
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 01:38 AM UTC
Recently got my hands on Tamiya Char B1 bis german version and also purchased MR Modellbau flammpanzer conversion set for it. Now, instructions that came with conversion set are anything but clear... So if anyone has done this conversion, some build photos would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know if these versions came any other color scheme than dark grey?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone know if these versions came any other color scheme than dark grey?

Talking about the conversion set, these are not WIP pics, but maybe they'll be useful anyway

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/6-militaer-ww2/4285-char-b1-bis-flammpanzer-tamiya.html

HTH

H.P.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks, they'll work. And that camo is spot on.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC
Tomi, since these were used by the Germans until the end of the war, any of the standard color schemes are possibilities.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC
I'll guess so, and I'll bet that there must been some that never got documented. Still, that dungelkelb with narrow stripes looks quite nice as it gives nice canvas to fully show all weathering that I'm planning to do.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 02:36 PM UTC
Since most of these probably never got sent back for refurbishment you can bet the majority had non-factory paint schemes (such as the one pictured). As far as the pattern goes you're pretty much wide open.

I was only saying that you need to kind of watch which colors you use, if you're depicting a particular time period.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was only saying that you need to kind of watch which colors you use, if you're depicting a particular time period.

Well, I'm not after a 100% historical accuracy nor specific vehicle, but as long as I'm in the ball park that's fine with me. Panzer grey is unfamiliar territory to me and this would be a poor practice piece to do that scheme, heavy three color scheme on the other hand is just something that I have done recently so some variation is welcome. Of course I could go with full artistic licence, but usually I try to maintain somekind of balance between historical facts and modellers freedom.

Main motivation to build this vehicle came from Tankart vol2 book, and dunkelgelb base is ideal to showcase all weathering possibilities with this one.

At the moment I'm building Dragon Jagdpanther and it's near finish, so Char is next in line. Pictures avalaible in this thread
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:05 PM UTC
Ok, little rant. I started to build Char anyways (finish that JP later) and... While resin is great quality in this set, no bubbles and casting looks great, would it be enormously difficult to produce instructions that one can actually use...? Here we get A5 sized paper, 3 black/white photos which are so small and poor quality that all you can see certain that there is indeed a tank. Some drawings that show which kit parts to modify, not telling that you should also cut there and there...

Luckily I have some photos of actual vehicle, and I managed to fit flamethrower unit in place after I got the courage to cut kit parts more than instructions show. Pics later. Rant out.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 12:45 AM UTC
Dry fitting

Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
Small update. While not mentioned in the instructions, mud chutes can be opened for added detail.

Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
And here we are now, this thing just flies together. I think that pace will be slower from this point on as I really start to fit those resin parts for final assembly, but good days work still.

fdsdh1
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Recently got my hands on Tamiya Char B1 bis german version and also purchased MR Modellbau flammpanzer conversion set for it. Now, instructions that came with conversion set are anything but clear... So if anyone has done this conversion, some build photos would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know if these versions came any other color scheme than dark grey?

if you are desperate there is a book called 'German armour in the Channel Islands' by Michael Ginns published by the Channel Islands Occupation Society

it has lots of B&W photos and info, but apart from that I don't know

it won't be on amzn though, I think you can get it here:

www.ciosjersey.org.uk

or just ask one of the people (from the site) about it, obviously one of them wrote the book in the first place, some of the older members have probably seen one of these things first hand!

Bovington has a Char B1 which served under German hands in Jersey as Number 114 of Panzer-Abteilung 213

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Bovington_Char_B2.JPG

I think its current livery may be French though
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 05:23 AM UTC
I think that I have majority of issues sorted out, and as budget is bit tight at the moment buying reference books just for one model is out of question. Thanks for the tip though.
fdsdh1
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that I have majority of issues sorted out, and as budget is bit tight at the moment buying reference books just for one model is out of question. Thanks for the tip though.

I was thinking of getting this kit, would you recommend it?
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
Well, if we ignore poor instructions, rest of the set is great quality. Virtually bubble free and casting is pretty good, nice textures and details in general. If you have previous experience working with resin, there should be no problems. Some extra work obviously but nothing major, and as the result is something that is not seen often I think it's well worth it.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
And as Tamiya kit goes, it's great! Flame fuel tank fitted, no problems other than I managed to break front mounting bracket. Does anyone know where filler cap is located, there wasn't part for that in the set and my reference photos are from angles that it doesn't show...

Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 08:48 PM UTC
And here we are now, some small items still missing.

Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Done

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC
She's a beauty! I know it's small detail, but I really like the varying tones of the oil slung from the bearing cap on the drive sprocket
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 01:03 PM UTC
I applied multiple layers of pigments and stains, effect is also seen in the sides (although not very clear on those pictures). Bit time consuming but well worth it.
 _GOTOTOP