_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WW2 trenches
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:15 PM UTC
I am planning a dio of a german trench that is over run by GI's.

Any idea how they looked (like in WW1?) and tips on how to make them.

Didi the Germans used fixed trenches (inland not on the beaches) or only temp ones?
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Ronny..it may have been due to the rapid movement after the invasion,that slit trenches,and reinforcing natural posititions were more likely,i wish you well with your dio.
Arthur
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
Ronny,

In the Arnhem Area where some trenches on the eve of Market Garden... I've seen a picture somewhere...I'll look it up and forward it to you.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
hi roadkill, i myself completed a ww2 german trench dio, with a theme similar to yours, i have the dirt trenches inland with a anti tank gun placemant, however in this dio the sides of the trenches are not reinforced with horizontal planks they are reinforced with verticle peices of wood , i have us infantry hidding bihnd bushes ready to attack, this was in normandy when the us invaded a( france). if you need any more help just pm me

matt
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:13 PM UTC
hi road kill,,,,,, thats a nice web site you have
Tiny
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
I don't know how to make them but I do know that if it is a single slit trench then it will not be re-enforced but if it is a part of a network or gun position then it will be. Also as the allies closed in on Germany then they went more on the defensive and therefore began to create trenches in advance and more permanent in nature. :-)
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC
This is another of those 'things' you can't get wrong.

All and every type of construction was used by the Germans. Trenches supporting large costal gun emplacements were of reinforced concrete and solid items. Other trenches supporting light artillery and airfields were similar to WW1 with revetted sides usually of wood planks or posts, both types usually incorporated overhead cover.

Rapid dug trenches were common through allied air superiority and could consist of any depth or size dependant on how quick the need, the resourses available and the time to dig.

May not help a great deal by at least you know you can't get it wrong if you use one of the styles/types above.

Best wishes.

Trackpins.
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC
This is another of those 'things' you can't get wrong.

All and every type of construction was used by the Germans. Trenches supporting large costal gun emplacements were of reinforced concrete and solid items. Other trenches supporting light artillery and airfields were similar to WW1 with revetted sides usually of wood planks or posts, both types usually incorporated overhead cover.

Rapid dug trenches were common through allied air superiority and could consist of any depth or size dependant on how quick the need, the resourses available and the time to dig.

May not help a great deal by at least you know you can't get it wrong if you use one of the styles/types above.

Best wishes.

Trackpins.
 _GOTOTOP