_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 M1970 and T-54B Builds
koalorka
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 02:57 PM UTC
Howdy folks, this thread will document my progress in attempting to recreate with a high level of accuracy, a late-production Soviet T-55 M1970 and a Soviet T-54B, as seen during the dramatic events in Prague in 1968.

I've made my re-introduction into the hobby with the solid Tamiya T-55, which I remember salivating over as a teen in 2002. And while it's a nice kit, with the amount of information available today, numerous walk-arounds and good literature, the Tamiya kits reveal several minor flaws. I would rate it as ~7/10 because it attempts to model too many vehicle variants and loses too many details in the process.

I started with the intention of building a later-model T-55 OOTB, but then found the kit lacking the necessary parts to build such a vehicle. Miniarm came to the rescue with their T-55A Update kit, which brings the vehicle up to the M1970 build standard (raised loader's cupola with DShKM AAMG). Navigating the labyrinth of different variants has been tedious, but I think I have it narrowed down. Still working on the fuel tanks and finding the proper stowage box arrangement. Here is the progress so far:

The set is still waiting for a turned metal barrel, Miniarm RMSh track links with the T-72 stule drive sprockets, Aber PE for some finer details and a pair of large hub road wheels for the first axle.

Simultaneously, I'm starting work on a T-54B, inspired by images of the Prague uprising, using the Panzershop resin conversion as a starting point.

Thanks for looking.

DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 03:13 AM UTC
Really looking forward to these builds, especially the Prague Spring 54. I'd love to do a 62 for Prague Spring down the road. How do you like the Panzershop 54 conversion?

Erik
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
drooilin' already, just for the sake of my T addiction,I'll follow this post liek a fly on...LOL

intresting
koalorka
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I will post updates as often as I can, but progress is slow as I continue to learn about the tanks and also honing my modeling skills.

I am waiting on some literature, to ensure that I build the correct versions with the right features, I don't fully trust the museum walk-around tanks, a lot of them are gutted and perhaps modified and don't represent their historical counterparts all that well.

I've also got some ModelPoint and Miniarm candy on the way, including a D-10T barrel w/counterweight for the 54B, an SGMT coax MG barrel and some other small bits.

The Panzershop kit is not bad, only $25 for a 54B turret (same dimension as the 55), engine deck and a few lower hull glacis options. The casting is a little mild and will disappear under a few layers of paint. A few parts were a little warped, but correcting this gives me a crash course in working with resin.

Here is the Prague T-54B I want to build:

koalorka
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love to do a 62 for Prague Spring down the road.

I'm excited just thinking about it.
anthony14rmg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 09:25 AM UTC
Great picture of the T62. But, is it me or is their a extra fuel cell on the rear deck,opposite side then the three on the fender.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
That's what it looks like to me too. Looks like its just lashed on the fender tool box. I think the Trump mod. 1962 kit has markings for this tank, or one similar.

Erik
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
Really looking forward to these two, I love the 54/55 series. I think you're right, Trump does have markings for this tank.
-Seth
 _GOTOTOP