_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Random Paint Question...
UnitingMatrix95
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hey guys. I know this isn't even close to the subject of Armor, but this is about the best place i can think of for painting tips.
I'm thinking of building/painting a custom Xbox360 Controller, and was wondering how well standard clear gloss would handle against daily use? I'm thinking of taking a glossy white shell, adding a couple decals, then sealing it. Would standard gloss be good for long-term use? If not, do you know anything else i can use instead?
Thanks for looking, and if you can answer my questions, thank you so much more.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi Brendan!

You could try but i think that it would be very hard to get the paint stick to the controller. The reason is that xbox controllers are made off a very "fat" plastic designed so that things won't stick to it. If i would try i would use a really "hot" f laquer clear, it might work but i think it will be very hard to make it stick.

Jakob
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 01:15 PM UTC
Best bet would be to use hardware or Walmart spray gloss, Like Krylon. Hobby paints would be far too fragile
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
You could try the model paints made for Lexan remote control race car bodies. I know our local HobbyTown shop sells tons of it to the R/C crowd. IIRC, Pactra is one of the brands available.

I don't know much about the R/C hobby, but the bodies are flexible (to deal with punishment) and the paints used appear to handle the abuse pretty well.

Just a suggestion based on an educated guess...

HTH,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
I would recommend scoring the control with very fine grit sand paper or the finest grit steel wool you can find. Then, hit it with Krylon high gloss.
 _GOTOTOP