_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Minart's Normandy Crossroads
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC
I am about to embark on my first diorama. As per the title It will be based on Miniart's Normandy Crossrads. The kits I have purchased to go with the kit are: Dragon's 1/35 Tiger 1 Late w/zimmerit, Tamiya's Willys Jeep 1/35, Verlinden's 1/35 small tree set, Miniart's 1/35 European Cart, Dragon's 1/35 German Tank Crew France 1944, Tamiya's 1/35 German Fuel Drum Set, Verlinden's 1/35 WWII Propaganda Posters, and lastly Master Box's US INFANTRY July 3rd '44 1-35. Basically the seen is going to be set as the Tiger will be at rest with the crew in and around the tank, when all of sudden an American scout patrol comes into town, the Germans get the first shot and wound of the Americans. The Americans quickly egress on foot due the Jeep being diabled. I have bought three sets of the Vallejo pigments, pegaus bricks for rubble and plan on using balsa wood as broken frame bits of the two houses provided. This is going to be a hard task to accomplish, I am wondering in what order should I do everything as to not lose focus of my final goal. Also some tips on using the balsa wood to create the frame, also painting the trees to create that realistic affect. I have never dealt with resin before what is the best glue to use. Thanks for any help in the diorama.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am about to embark on my first diorama. As per the title It will be based on Miniart's Normandy Crossrads. The kits I have purchased to go with the kit are: Dragon's 1/35 Tiger 1 Late w/zimmerit, Tamiya's Willys Jeep 1/35, Verlinden's 1/35 small tree set, Miniart's 1/35 European Cart, Dragon's 1/35 German Tank Crew France 1944, Tamiya's 1/35 German Fuel Drum Set, Verlinden's 1/35 WWII Propaganda Posters, and lastly Master Box's US INFANTRY July 3rd '44 1-35. Basically the seen is going to be set as the Tiger will be at rest with the crew in and around the tank, when all of sudden an American scout patrol comes into town, the Germans get the first shot and wound of the Americans. The Americans quickly egress on foot due the Jeep being diabled. I have bought three sets of the Vallejo pigments, pegaus bricks for rubble and plan on using balsa wood as broken frame bits of the two houses provided. This is going to be a hard task to accomplish, I am wondering in what order should I do everything as to not lose focus of my final goal. Also some tips on using the balsa wood to create the frame, also painting the trees to create that realistic affect. I have never dealt with resin before what is the best glue to use. Thanks for any help in the diorama.

Sounds like a nice idea for a dio. I,myself,tend to get bogged down with a big project like this so my advice would be to do it in bite sized chunks. This way you still get some feeling of completion and accomplishment. Maybe try building the Jeep first and completely finishing it? Then move on the Tiger or the figs? That way,if you run out of steam,at least you will have something to show for it?
I use white glue for wooden pieces and super glue for resin pieces,btw.
Good luck man and keep us posted?
J
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC

Sounds like a nice idea for a dio. I,myself,tend to get bogged down with a big project like this so my advice would be to do it in bite sized chunks. This way you still get some feeling of completion and accomplishment. Maybe try building the Jeep first and completely finishing it? Then move on the Tiger or the figs? That way,if you run out of steam,at least you will have something to show for it?
J[/quote]

Thanks for the help, I will keep everyone posted. I am currently deployed overseas, so all of this stuff was purchased and online and is sitting at home waiting on me. The nice thing is, is that I get 30 days off. I think this will fill plenty of that time. I can't wait to get started.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Thanks for the help, I will keep everyone posted. I am currently deployed overseas, so all of this stuff was purchased and online and is sitting at home waiting on me. The nice thing is, is that I get 30 days off. I think this will fill plenty of that time. I can't wait to get started.[/quote]

Alrighty then! Thanks for your service and keep cool,stay alive and come home in one piece.
I know for a fact how fast those 30 day leaves go by so enjoy it! It is always nice to have a break from the"two way rifle range".
J
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
I will do my best. It will be nice to get home and get started.
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry - try using Canopy Glue for balsa and basswood, as it sets up a whole lot quicker, allowing you to work at a far faster pace on wood assembly. I can pick up a piece of stripwood, with another glued to it at a 90 degree angle, less than a minute after gluing them.

The best brand seems to be Formula 560 from Pacer Technology. I believe an increasing number of hobby shops carry this. It's the adhesive of choice for the guys who custom build "craftsman" (limited run, high cost and lots of parts) structure kits for model railroad customers. I got turned onto it at a convention seminar.
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jerry - try using Canopy Glue for balsa and basswood, as it sets up a whole lot quicker, allowing you to work at a far faster pace on wood assembly. I can pick up a piece of stripwood, with another glued to it at a 90 degree angle, less than a minute after gluing them.

The best brand seems to be Formula 560 from Pacer Technology. I believe an increasing number of hobby shops carry this. It's the adhesive of choice for the guys who custom build "craftsman" (limited run, high cost and lots of parts) structure kits for model railroad customers. I got turned onto it at a convention seminar.

Speaking of balsa wood, besides an hobby store, has anyone seen if Lowes or Home Depot carries it?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Speaking of balsa wood, besides an hobby store, has anyone seen if Lowes or Home Depot carries it?

I haven't seen any there as I also tend to look outside of hobby stores because they usually charge a lot more for things that can be outsourced.
I don't usually use balsa as I find it too soft and not having a realistic grain. I trend towards basswood and I get that at Michaels or AC Moore craft stores.
For small jobs I will also use plastic stock and scribe a quick grain in it for the wood effect. Can't tell the difference when I'm done.
J
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some art supply places carry it.
If you need a lot of balsa or basswood, consider these:
http://www.nationalbalsa.com/
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/

Quoted Text

I don't usually use balsa as I find it too soft and not having a realistic grain. I trend towards basswood and I get that at Michaels or AC Moore craft stores.

Exactly why I prefer basswood.

Quoted Text

For small jobs I will also use plastic stock and scribe a quick grain in it for the wood effect. Can't tell the difference when I'm done.

Perhaps - but I think real wood is always going to look better.

One thing I can't stand is resin castings where the "grain" is so overdone that it looks like a caricature of wood - like this:

Compared to the work of a real craftsman - you'll never get an aged wood look like this with styrene:

http://public.fotki.com/MarcelAckle/holzkisten/
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:09 PM UTC

Speaking of balsa wood, besides an hobby store, has anyone seen if Lowes or Home Depot carries it? [/quote]

I haven't seen any there as I also tend to look outside of hobby stores because they usually charge a lot more for things that can be outsourced.
J[/quote]

With that being said, balsa wood is too soft, what is the best way to stain the surface? Does it absord the stain correctly or are multiple coats needed? One more question for you guys, I have seen some videos on Youtube where guys have reinforced the Miniart bldgs with styrene sheets to help with the vacum formed molds. Is this really necessary? I was planning my attack to putty the seamlines and use the balsa/basswood frame on the roof and upper floor levels to act like a brace to create the stiffness needed. Any comments or suggestions?
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 08:02 PM UTC
Regarding the reinforcements of the MiniArt kits, there's always lots of spare sheet left after you've cut out the parts which is ideal for this.
Where two edges meet I add a strip on the back side of the part which adds a lot of strength to the joint. If you don't add this you run the risk of the joint opening up as you deal with the seam line.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you'll never get an aged wood look like this with styrene:

Depending on how you create it you can get pretty close

That is a 1:72 Hangar floor made of rough wooden planks. And aside from the pictureframe it was constructed there is not a splinter of wood in the whole floor. All is constructed from Styrene and all the rest is down to some basic paintwork. I'm currently working on a small article on how to create a floor like this but it works for a lot of scales and for a lot of woodworks.

I actually like to use Styrene over real wood for diorama's because it is way easier to control. The problem I have with using real wood is that certainly for the smaller scales (1:35 and smaller) it looks exactly what it is 1:1 wood used in a scale setting.
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 12:03 AM UTC
Robert - Have you checked that link? You'll like what's there.

Granted that your wood isn't new, but it's not aged either. The ends may be rough, but all the boards are quite solid.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
@ Charles
I'm well known to the work of Marcel Ackle. I follow his beautiful work on facebook.
And with the same technique I made that wooden floor I can make really distressed and rotted wood. No problem you only need to be more vigorous in attacking it.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J[/quote]

With that being said, balsa wood is too soft, what is the best way to stain the surface? Does it absord the stain correctly or are multiple coats needed? One more question for you guys, I have seen some videos on Youtube where guys have reinforced the Miniart bldgs with styrene sheets to help with the vacum formed molds. Is this really necessary? I was planning my attack to putty the seamlines and use the balsa/basswood frame on the roof and upper floor levels to act like a brace to create the stiffness needed. Any comments or suggestions?[/quote]

As to the staining of balsa. I stopped using it because there always seemed to be inconsistencies in the grain so it was very hard to get an even look. It was like staining an old piece of wood and discovering part of it had been filled with wood putty which would not take a stain. Basswood is a lot better. I agree with Robert though,if you work at it you can make styrene replicate any kind of wood and keep it in scale context whilst doing so.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

you'll never get an aged wood look like this with styrene:

Depending on how you create it you can get pretty close

That is a 1:72 Hangar floor made of rough wooden planks. And aside from the pictureframe it was constructed there is not a splinter of wood in the whole floor. All is constructed from Styrene and all the rest is down to some basic paintwork. I'm currently working on a small article on how to create a floor like this but it works for a lot of scales and for a lot of woodworks.

I actually like to use Styrene over real wood for diorama's because it is way easier to control. The problem I have with using real wood is that certainly for the smaller scales (1:35 and smaller) it looks exactly what it is 1:1 wood used in a scale setting.

Spectacular work Robert. You're killin me man.
J
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Note taken, stay away from Balsa Wood, and go with basswood. Anyone have recommendations for the dimensions so that I can get it close to scale (styrene as well)? Would the Lifecolor wood set be a good choice to try to replicate real wood?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 02:31 AM UTC
Concerning styrene I can't give much in the form of dimensions as I do everything with ye good ole' Eyeball. I have a big collection of styrene stock at home and usually choose what looks right. If it doesn't look too big or completely out of scale you are right to go.

I don't know much about the lifecolor sets never bought them that particular set looks nice. I airbrushed that particular floor in a dirty greyish brown that was mixed from Tamiya grey and buff and a highlight was sprayed over that with buff. And the diversity between the boards was done with thinned black oil paint. The darker the plank the less thinned the oilpaint wash is.
jfisher1281
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC
I just might have to go the styrene route, sounds easy enough. An added plus I could use the left overs for support on the two buildings. Now going on another tangent, like I said this is my first diorama. I have been looking through some reference photos, it seems rubble starts at the 90 degree points of the buildings and cascades down to from a rough quarter circle at the base (I know rubble is supposed to random due to the battle). In what I have seen most of the brick and other hard rubble is at the bottom and the frame is on top of the pile with some protruding into the pile itself. Kinda reminds me of a snow drift.
 _GOTOTOP