_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
COMET 38
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC
I am really starting to understand why a lot more WWII Pacific models are few and far between.
This is COMET 38 from the 4th Tank Battalion, C Company, as it appeared on Iwo Jima. The kits is from David Harper and are impossible to find, Hardcorps Models kit number HX35001. It was originally designed to be COED #40 but I had this wonderful idea to make it COMET.

As I mentioned it was for COED and by changing it over to COMET I really found out exactly how many details differences there are between them. All the way down to a headlight and the number of bolts, bolt locations there are. Needless to say I did not attempt to exactly locate every bolt head, just the basics. The decals are going to be a joy to try applying over them. That’s why this post, just in case the model doesn’t make it past that particular step.

Thanks for looking,
Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC
Great looking build, you have there. Took the challenge and looked up Hardcorps Models. They are impossible to find. Not much for Shermans, but I'll follow this one.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking build, you have there. Took the challenge and looked up Hardcorps Models. They are impossible to find. Not much for Shermans, but I'll follow this one.

Hardcorps models owner and the guy who designed/produced all the kits, David Harper, unfortunately passed away back in 2010, hence why their stuff is difficult to find.

Nice build Bob! I'm guessing the hatch cages are some of the 3D printed stuff that David experimented with?
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments.

Rob, yep miss David a lot, had a couple of great discussions on those Satans. I bought 2 of those 3D printed cages, really fragile. but only one of the COED kits. Going to save those. Still have his LVT1 kit to do also.

Thanks for looking,
Bob
 _GOTOTOP