_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
White King Tiger in Hungary
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 01:24 AM UTC
I decided my King Tiger will be a clone of Anneliese in Hungary: Winter/1945. Since this tank, from what I understand, received a white coat of paint in the factory, would it be best to paint this tank white and use washes and dry brush to bring out the paint underneath?

Thanks.

Alex
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I decided my King Tiger will be a clone of Anneliese in Hungary: Winter/1945. Since this tank, from what I understand, received a white coat of paint in the factory, would it be best to paint this tank white and use washes and dry brush to bring out the paint underneath?

Thanks.

Alex

That's the way I would do it! Then the paint would wear just like the real one did! Have fun!!
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
That's what I was thinking. I remember an article I read about reverse white-washes in which a Stug III was painted white and then weathered to show the grey underneath. It was an awesome paint job.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 03:06 AM UTC
I would paint the basecoat on the tank,then use either hairspray or one of the chipping solutions like AK over the basecoat,then I would add my acrylic whitewash,and finally chip it off in sections revealing the undercoat.Followed by washes,filtering,and weathering.
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
That's a possibility as well. I have the AK paints for chipping. Would I simply paint a base of Dark Yellow without modulation since an extra coat of paint will go over the base coat?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC
If the yellow basecoat will be mostly covered,then I wouldn't worry too much about modulation,just go to town on the whitewash with your filters and weathering.
struman1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
AK Heavy chipping formula is awesome. I use enamel washes and filters and then blend together with white spirits. AK method for washes and filters is unreal. I used to go with my own acrylic washes but was always worried about getting wash were I didn't want it. Blending enamel washes looks sooo much better. You spend a little more but its worth it. All their products are designed to work together. Valejo is really good as well. Same concepts.
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
I purchased almost the entire range of AK Interactive products and can't speak highly enough of them. Now. If I could only get the fit right on this model, I'd be aces!
orangelion03
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I purchased almost the entire range of AK Interactive products and can't speak highly enough of them. Now. If I could only get the fit right on this model, I'd be aces!

I'm giving them a try, but not having good luck. Used the dark yellow primer on one job...worked ok, but does not spray through the .3mm nozzle of my TG without thinning. Same for the Chocobraun, but in this case it clogged so bad I had to dismantle the brush to clear and clean it.
AlexB1969
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
I was having some clogging issues with AK Interactive paints. I think it's the bug-a-boo with acrylics: they dry quick. I e-mailed them and they replied with a quick tip: masssage your airbrush with a wet brush if it clogs a little.
 _GOTOTOP