_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
creating a wash?
Asbuster
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hey there,

So ive been building a couple of models the past years. I only bothered to paint the last 3 that ive made so far and they look nice. However last year, my friends gave me the exterior model of the Academy Tiger I Early Version. Been building it and painting it like i did with my previous builds, but i want to do a bit more.

Ive been researching stuff on the internet and know that making washes for models can make it look even better. Only problem is i have no idea how to create a wash.

So today i tried to make a wash. I got a bowl of water, a little bit of liquid soap, and ofcourse my enamal paint, mixed them together as stated on a website i found and it came out crap. The paint didnt mix at all.

So i wanna know how i can make low cost washes to bring my Tiger to life. The tank is painted with Revell`s Enamal paint and i plan on making the wash with the same Enamal paints since i already have them.
I did read on the web that thinner is also a possibility but im afraid itll eat away my paint thats already on the tank.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC
The problem you had was because you mixed enamel paint with water. Only acrylic paint can be thinned with water, never enamel or oil paint. Washes are best made with oil or enamel paint, as even after they are dry they can be removed and cleaned with paint thinner.

If you are going to use enamel paint for your washes and for your base coats, you must seal your paint before washes using an acrylic clear coat, sometimes called a varnish. Many use pledge future floor shine, but its name changes all the time. I think its called johnsons clear floor shine in the US now. However, you should try Tamiya Acrylic "clear" or other clear glosses from any hobby paint manufacturer. This will create a barrier that will protect your base coats from thinners.

Also, check out the pre mixed weathering solutions from brands like AK interactive or Mig productions. They are very easy to use and yield great results.
Asbuster
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 07:57 AM UTC
Ok so i NEED to use thinner?

Also ill see if i can find a spray can of clear acrylic paint. I do have a spray can of primer but i doubt that can act as the protective layer.

I did have a site where i could order MIG Pigments but lost that site due to me having to reinstall my PC. I do however think ill stick with my Enamal paint for my Tiger. See how it goes.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Ola Guys.. I apologize because I am going to type in Dutch. It is the easiest and fastest way to explain what I want to tell.

Ola J K
Welkom op de site hier.
Als je een thinner wash op je enamel onderlaag doet zie je zo al je verf werk loslaten. je zal dit eerst moeten beschermen. Je kan dit met een lak doen maar.... Er is een andere manier. Ga even in de lokale supermarkten kijken of ze daar Pledge Extra protection hebben (witte fles blauwe dop) En daar kwast je je voertuig mee in. Prachtig spul. Beschermt je verf en omdat het glanzend opdroogt vloeit je wash veel beter.
Ik persoonlijk vindt dat washes met olieverf het mooiste werken. Ik weet niet of je die setjes olieverf van de Blokker of de Xenos wel eens heb gezien. Die kosten om en nabij de 2,50 en dan heb je een zootje kleuren die geschikt te gebruiken zijn voor washes.
Ik verdun dit gewoon met terpetine uit de bouwmarkt. Koopt een jerrycannetje van 2 liter en je kan zowat de rest van je leven washes maken.

Ik hoop dat je hier wat aan heb.
Kijk ook eens op http://benelux.kitmaker.net dat is de nederlands-sprekende satelliet van Armorama. Daar vind je veel modelbouwers uit ons Kikkerlandje en Het noordelijk deel van de Zuiderburen.
 _GOTOTOP